C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air noise from leaky seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Zoidman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Air noise from leaky seal

Hello guys!

I am having some trouble finding the exact forum with the answer I am after...

Anyway the problem is I have a leaky air seal where the removable top meets with the windshield and passenger window.

From the picture you can see an air gap, which at around 40mph creates some pretty annoying wind noise.

Any tips on how to fix this?
Thanks!

Note the gap where the three pieces meet
Old 07-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

From the picture, it looks like you may need a window tip-in adjustment. Look it up on this forum. There are several threads on how to do it. It is basically easy and accomplished by two adjustment screws at the bottom of the door.

If that doesn't work, you may also need a window height adjustment. That is a little more involved since it requires the removal of your door panel.

You might also need a window seal replacement but I would start with the adjustments.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Zoidman
Instructor

I am thinking that the problem is not with the window itself. I've adjust the little tab on the top to grip a little tighter, applied di-electric grease abundantly and it hasn't helped.

Even with the window down the gap in the rubber seal still persists.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about

Note the gap in the rubber where windshield, window and top meet
Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You appear to have 2 problems. The window isn't high enough and that gap in the weatherstripping.

To fix the height of the window you go to the bottom of the tracks via the plugs in the bottom of the door and adjust the screws. It takes a reverse torx socket. I can't recall the size. They are a little tricky to see but they are adjustable with the window down or almost all the way down. It appears the back has to be raised but the front may need tweaked too. You want the top edge of the glass pressing into that step/lip in the weatherstripping. You should not be able to see the edge of the glass when it's properly adjusted.

Once the window is adjusted then see if the weatherstripping needs to be addressed.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Zoidman
Instructor

Thanks for the tips! Great eye on spotting the window adjustment.

I did as you suggested and Wow!! What a difference! The air noise is significantly reduced now! It makes me feel like the car is of much higher quality from that simple adjustment!

Any ideas for the small gap in the weatherstripping?
I was thinking maybe something like a soft silicone to build up the seal in the gap a little? But honestly I have no idea...

Get notified of new replies

To Air noise from leaky seal

Quick Reply: Air noise from leaky seal