C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I smell gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Enrique797
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I smell gas

When I fill up my tank I smell gas. Not just at the pump but if I fill it up and park it in the garage it will smell like gas until I drive it for a while and bring the fuel level down. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

What year is your car? 2003-2004 cars had a recall for a problem with the pipes that connected the two tanks. That could possibly be it but if you smell gas after a refill you have a leak somewhere near the top of the tank, unless you are overfilling your tank.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Enrique797
When I fill up my tank I smell gas. Not just at the pump but if I fill it up and park it in the garage it will smell like gas until I drive it for a while and bring the fuel level down. Any ideas what could be causing this?
There was a family of moles living underground, The momma Mole stuck her head out of the hole and said I smell Honey.. the papa mole pushed his way up the hole and the two adult moles agreed that they both smelled honey.. the baby mole tried to get up the hole to smeel the honey too but all he could smell was Molasses.

OK, gas smell can come from a recent tank fill up.. it could be a lose connection at the cross over pipe. Sometime some gas can exit the fill nozzle and wind up on the inside ledge of the rocker panel and sit there even after it evaporated, the smell will linger.,
Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Enrique797
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
What year is your car? 2003-2004 cars had a recall for a problem with the pipes that connected the two tanks. That could possibly be it but if you smell gas after a refill you have a leak somewhere near the top of the tank, unless you are overfilling your tank.
It's a 2002
Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Enrique797
Instructor

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
There was a family of moles living underground, The momma Mole stuck her head out of the hole and said I smell Honey.. the papa mole pushed his way up the hole and the two adult moles agreed that they both smelled honey.. the baby mole tried to get up the hole to smeel the honey too but all he could smell was Molasses.
That took me a minute, but then...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Enrique797
Instructor

I pump it till the pump stops on its on and then stop, would that be considered overfilling?

I'm very careful filling the tank so as not to spill. Would the possibility of it being fuel pooling behind the rocker panel be reduced by being careful against spills or is it that the fuel leaks from the fill tube somewhere?

As always, your time and input is very much appreciated!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I pump it till the pump stops on its on and then stop, would that be considered overfilling?

I'm very careful filling the tank so as not to spill. Would the possibility of it being fuel pooling behind the rocker panel be reduced by being careful against spills or is it that the fuel leaks from the fill tube somewhere?

There is a drain hole in the catch cup around the fuel neck.. sometimes the fuel will back up and kick off the flow of fuel, when it kicks back it allows a small amount of gas to spit out and go onto the catch cup and out the hole which sits over the inside of the rocker, which coincidentally is right below ( about 26 inches away ) a hatch water drain vent at the hatch area. ( One on each side )
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

That took me a minute, but then...
What a Forum... all this good information and a few laughs too.
It doesn't get much better than this... well actually if this is a good as it gets, someone shoot me.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Technically, having the pump nozzle shutting off the gas flow would not be overfilling.

With that said, it is a bad practice. What if the nozzle does not shut off? There are many cases of that happening. With the newer car designs fuel system overfilling can damage the charcoal filter system.

Also, unless you are on a long trip, why carry around the extra weight of a full tank?

Get notified of new replies

To I smell gas

Quick Reply: I smell gas