C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

outside air temp not reading correctly

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default outside air temp not reading correctly

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a serch and didn't find anything on it. My 99 A4 coupe outside air temp is reading all over the place. It can be 90 outside and the OAT will read 55. It is usually not even close. Is it just a bad sensor? Or is there more to it than that? I have been thinking about changing out the controller with an 01 or newer. Was wondering if they are a plug and play fit or is the connector different? I have read on here that it could help solve the mixer door issues the eairler models have. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
Sorry if this has been covered, I did a serch and didn't find anything on it. My 99 A4 coupe outside air temp is reading all over the place. It can be 90 outside and the OAT will read 55. It is usually not even close. Is it just a bad sensor? Or is there more to it than that? I have been thinking about changing out the controller with an 01 or newer. Was wondering if they are a plug and play fit or is the connector different? I have read on here that it could help solve the mixer door issues the eairler models have. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Most likely a bad sensor or the wiring\connecter. The part is cheap but take a good look at the connecter as corrosion there is often the problem. Your ac will work much better if it reads the correct temp.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

$8 part at autozone and 3 minutes to replace the sendor in right side of grill near bottom of radiator. doesnt bolt on, it just uses one of those plastic rivets that pushes on...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Sensor-Ambient-Air-Temperature/1999-Chevrolet-Corvette/_/N-jd52hZ9iz0h?itemIdentifier=363938_0_0_

Last edited by jnealg; 07-24-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

But, if it's jumping around like you say, the sensor is less likely the problem than moisture or corrosion in the two pin connector that it is attached to.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
But, if it's jumping around like you say, the sensor is less likely the problem than moisture or corrosion in the two pin connector that it is attached to.
possibly true, dielectric grease after cleaning the pins before plugging new one in is prudent.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:22 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jnealg
possibly true, dielectric grease after cleaning the pins before plugging new one in is prudent.
Dielectric grease inside a connecter is not a good idea. Outside only if at all. I know.... an age old debate.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Could be an easy fix. Try removing and reconnecting the plug to the sensor; they get knocked about easily and give temp readings like you are getting when loose.

Get notified of new replies

To outside air temp not reading correctly

Quick Reply: outside air temp not reading correctly