C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch squealing or whistle noise

Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you may be right, it seems to be getting worse and I know it does get louder as I use the a/c on very hot days. A lot of times I so t use the a/c at all because I like the sound of the idle better without it lol. Does seem to be coming from the alternator though, it is doing it at idle but it's very quiet. You can hear it pretty loud on this video if it idling though. In person the background noise of the engine almost overpowers it... I'll attach the video in a few when it's done uploading Also I found that the bottom of the intake boot on the throttle body had slipped off. AND the vararam intake is dented on the edge and won't straighten out and there is a small gap between that and the boot around it...

Last edited by Zo6Sel; 07-25-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry Had to go out for some more pop and do a few burnouts in my old c4
Dude it's on the drs side foresure Pull the belt and spin each by hand I say Alt or p/s pump but my moneys on that alt bet-cha it's the brushes and just spinning by hand it will squeak You got time to do it I/m watch t.v eating a pizza
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 AM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Haha well I'm thinking it may be the alt. I spin it and I can hear some friction in there but it's hard to tell if it would be a whistle at higher rotation. I'm thinking it will be though... Thanks a lot for your time and info guys!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Well a new alternator fixed the whine but now I'm getting a charge system fault code when I start the car... I watch the voltage go up when the rpms do so I'm not sure what the problem there is...
Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Is the Idiot light coming on? I think it has to see at least 12 volts or so otherwise it's triggered on
Old 08-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Nope just a little message saying charge system fault. Once I hit reset it stays off.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Damn if it does it again or on start up Bring it back and get another one the other one wasn't doing that ****, Right
Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Nope last one didn't do it... I'll be having them order another one for me to exchange. That DAMN noise is not gone though!! It doesn't whistle at idle anymore but it does have a very faint whistle still while slowing down and it stops right before I come to a stop. It's the same as in the videos I posted just not quite as loud anymore
Old 08-01-2014, 04:22 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I hope you kept the old one, if not you may be very sorry. I can explain later or you just search on C5 alternators.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

I read a little on the alternator and it seems that this one will be fine but it'll throw that code correct? I can deal with that for awhile I guess, it only says that after it's sat for a few hours. After the first start of the day it doesn't say it. I'm thinking the alt issue came after I had made this initial post because I wasn't able to hear a whistle when stopped and now that I replaced the alt there no noise again. But once it warms up and after a little bit of driving (I'm guessing when the engine bay warms up) that damn squeal or whistle from the videos comes back!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Put the old one back on and return the newer/rebuilt one and just turn the radio up louder while cruz-in
Old 08-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Haha nah, other than the squeal the car sounds too good for a radio
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 AM
masoud
Heel & Toe

I had a squeal (have no access to YouTube in Iran, so I cannot see/hear the type), Had to replace the following stuff:
(Mechanic #1):
Main Idler, no change. It was a bit loose.
Alternator: Hard to procure. Didn't fix it. Paid shipping (twice) and restocking fee.
(Stealership):
Harmonic damper: I thought it'd fix it, but no. It came back after 30 minutes and car fully warming up.

The noise seemed to be from the clutch area.
I finally did a clutch burn out (While car in motion, clutch-in, up-shift, rev the engine high and eeease the clutch out), and the noise went away.
YMMV, and it may come back at any time.
FWIW, I have a 04 z06.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Zo6Sel
Advanced

Did it do it all the time or only on occasion? Mine does it when slowing down then stops at about 5mph, in gear or out of gear on brakes or off brakes, neither seem to make a difference... It's also only after driving for roughly a half hr so I'm thinking maybe something is heating up in the bay and expanding possibly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High pitch squealing or whistle noise