C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a fresh A/T which gear is best for driveability ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:43 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Got a fresh A/T which gear is best for driveability ?

Should I be cruising around town in (3) or third. OR..just leave it in O/D all the time. Opinions please..THANKS

my car is a '99

Last edited by SaxyVette; 07-22-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doesn't really matter if your transmission is programmed properly. I moved my 4th gear shift points and TC lockup, so it wouldn't "lug" around town.
I usually stay in third, because RPM (their transmission) told me not to go WOT (with some power on board) in OD, so I stay in 3 in case the need arises.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I tend to cruise around town in 3rd but that is just me.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I let mine use 4th after 35 mph. I don't let it lock until 54 mph. I don't let it lock in 3rd at all.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I let mine use 4th after 35 mph. I don't let it lock until 54 mph. I don't let it lock in 3rd at all.
Ron pardon my dumbness (I'm a musician not a car expert) ..what does "let it lock" mean..?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM
MBrianB
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
Ron pardon my dumbness (I'm a musician not a car expert) ..what does "let it lock" mean..?
I would like to know also.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
In modern usage, a torque converter is generally a type of fluid coupling (but also being able to multiply torque) that is used to transfer rotating power from a prime mover, such as an internal combustion engine or electric motor, to a rotating driven load. The torque converter normally takes the place of a mechanical clutch in a vehicle with an automatic transmission, allowing the load to be separated from the power source. It is usually located between the engine's flexplate and the transmission.

The key characteristic of a torque converter is its ability to multiply torque when there is a substantial difference between input and output rotational speed, thus providing the equivalent of a reduction gear. Some of these devices are also equipped with a temporary locking mechanism which rigidly binds the engine to the transmission when their speeds are nearly equal, to avoid slippage and a resulting loss of efficiency.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

oh yeah now I get it..
Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The third (3) gear in the A4 is a 1:1 ratio the same as most automatic transmission high gears were in the old days when the overdrive feature was fairly uncommon.

I prefer to treat it as my normal driving gear, and only get into forth (4) gear when economy mindedness takes over...that's not often

I like the way the rpm's are kept slightly higher in 3rd and it makes the car more readily responsive. In fact I'd be fine without the forth gear option entirely as long as the 1:1 ratio was maintained in 3rd.

I'm getting on in years and flopping a clutch pedal around is no longer the thrill it once was...so the A4 in these cars gives me a nice driving experience.

Bob
Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Camburger thanks for a good answer, now I do get it..
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But driving around in 3rd or 4th doesn't answer if the torque converter is locked or not.

Locked the engine is directly turning the transmission, and is more fuel efficient and has less heat buildup. Best for low rpm, highway speed driving.

Unlocked the transmission is only driven by fluid in the torque converter. And you get a torque multiplication when the engine is spinning faster than the transmission.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgl
But driving around in 3rd or 4th doesn't answer if the torque converter is locked or not.

Locked the engine is directly turning the transmission, and is more fuel efficient and has less heat buildup. Best for low rpm, highway speed driving.

Unlocked the transmission is only driven by fluid in the torque converter. And you get a torque multiplication when the engine is spinning faster than the transmission.
My reply to the OP's question was based upon my knowing from his past postings that he really just wanted to know how best to enjoy driving his newly acquired Vette. I was not addressing the sort of dynamics your referring too. I suspect he will be fine without knowing the torque multiplication stuff...
Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by camburger
My reply to the OP's question was based upon my knowing from his past postings that he really just wanted to know how best to enjoy driving his newly acquired Vette. I was not addressing the sort of dynamics your referring too. I suspect he will be fine without knowing the torque multiplication stuff...
Yup...3rd around town for a few more responsive RPM's and 4th O/D for the highway for better milege and fewer RPM's..Thanks to both you guys..

Get notified of new replies

To Got a fresh A/T which gear is best for driveability ?

Quick Reply: Got a fresh A/T which gear is best for driveability ?