C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain - Windshield Wiper / CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 PM
ITVetteGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Drain - Windshield Wiper / CD Player

I seem to have run into a weird issue and need some guidance

Last week I got my Vette washed at a touch-less car wash. As I was driving home my windshield wipers turned on by themselves (even though the *** is in the off position) No matter what I did I could not get the Windshield wipers to turn off.

Also my CD player (I have the 12 disc changer in the trunk) stopped working, basically every CD I tried to play the screen said "ERR"

I parked the car and decided I would take a look at it during the week. I went to go start my car up 5 days later and the battery is totally drained (locks wont even work)

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be very helpful before I bring it in to a shop.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

^^ good advice. If you still experience issues I would consider removing the wiper cowl and
inspect the wiper motor/harness/connector.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You can pull the fuse on the wipers to prevent a drain. I doubt the CD player is draining the battery. Did water get in there too?

DO NOT charge a dead battery in the C5 without at least disconnecting the battery (negative cable preferred). Chargers do not put out a pure DC voltage and the square DC wave can pound the electronics since the dead battery cannot help filter these out.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
03newjersey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ITVetteGuy
I seem to have run into a weird issue and need some guidance

Last week I got my Vette washed at a touch-less car wash. As I was driving home my windshield wipers turned on by themselves (even though the *** is in the off position) No matter what I did I could not get the Windshield wipers to turn off.

Also my CD player (I have the 12 disc changer in the trunk) stopped working, basically every CD I tried to play the screen said "ERR"

I parked the car and decided I would take a look at it during the week. I went to go start my car up 5 days later and the battery is totally drained (locks wont even work)

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be very helpful before I bring it in to a shop.

Thanks in advance!
I had all those problems within a year so maybe I can help. When I lived in Oregon it rained from October til May in 2010 and when I had the hatchback open, unloading food, the rain would pour in and ultimately got into my cd player. I got that err message too, all I did was take out the cds & holder and dry them all off. When I reinstalled it everything was OK, no err messages. To prevent water getting in again I simply put a plastic grocery bag over the cd changer and that keeps everything dry, no problems since.

Regarding the wiper motor it may just need to be replaced. I also use to go to a car wash and afterwards my wiper motor would go crazy all by itself, off and on, stopping in weird positions etc... I believe the problem is with the car wash, because it only happened after I drove through. My car wash used those huge jet like dryers which blew water and air so hard it looked like the hood was gonna pop up. Those jets got water into my wiper motor and made it go haywire. I had to replace the motor, not a big job but read up on it because some places like Autozone give you the wrong motor.

Lastly your battery could of drained because you left the dome light on or maybe you had the doors open or hatch open for so long that it killed the battery. If your battery was weak to begin with then something like that could of caused your dead battery. I drained my battery because I left the dome light on once and when I was working on the car with the hood up and doors open the battery drained. I bought a new one at Sears.

I hope this helps you, Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain - Windshield Wiper / CD Player

Quick Reply: Battery Drain - Windshield Wiper / CD Player