C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed fuel gage now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed fuel gage now what?

OK I replaced my right side fuel sending unit because of the infamous fuel gage goes to zero. Found the jet pump clogged so I replaced the sending unit with one I purchased from ebay. Gage works fine however; when the gage is other than full, when starting the car the next day the gage is 1/4 lower than when I shut the car off the day before. The gage recovers after the car is running for about 10 min. (slowly) The gage performs correct after that until I shut it off and start it the next day. I parked the car with the gage reading a little above 1/4. When I started it up the next day the gage was at zero. I got the low fuel warning and check gauges light. After 10 minutes the gauge recovered as it was when I shut it off the day before. Low fuel warning gone, check gauges light gone. Car back to normal. Is there a check valve or something that's allowing the fuel to migrate back into the right tank?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I use seafoam with about a half tank left, it works.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

I wonder if the gauge/sender is accurate and there is an issue with fuel level equalizing.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Pulled the codes and nothing related to fuel system. I was wondering if there's a check valve in the system that would keep transferred fuel in the left tank. As for techron, I should have bought stock in that company.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM
bikerjim2000
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure the gas crossover from left tank to the right is at the top so there should be no way to go back over to other side. Let it get almost empty. Full bottle of techron in the tank. The sending units try to keep both tanks at same level with the jet pump. If they do not agree like when jet is clogged and left tank is empty and right is full you get an empty indication. Slill possibly dirt on left tank sending unit or jet is re-clogged. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM
hornet7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel system

You need to read this thread on the fuel system.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...m-failure.html
Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Mine was the left side when it went to 0. I got tired of putting techron in. Changed the sender for 80 bucks and no issues since..
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Jumper11
Racer

I'm not an expert but I've experienced the fuel gage going to zero for awhile before I changed the right fuel sensor/jet pump. The system worked as advertised. The right tank wasn't transferring fuel until the car was shut off and the right tank gravity filled the left tank until about 1/2 indicated. The jet pump was clogged. Now the gage does not drop to zero and I'm glad about that. Just wanted to know why the gage indicates 1/4 lower the day after I drive it and then recovers? I know the right tank will gravity level with the engine off. Thought there was a check valve to keep the left tank from back filling the right tank.

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed fuel gage now what?

Quick Reply: Fixed fuel gage now what?