C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 PM
dauis2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn signal problem

I have a 2000 convertible that has started having right rear turn signals. I was getting a hyper flash on the right side turn signals.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1) replaced both rear bulbs. Still got the hyper flash, though when I drove 8 hours on the Interstate, by the end of the day the turn signal would work about 90% of the time. But the next day I had the hyper flash again.

2) installed the hyperflash bypass cable from Corvette Enhancements (great service and instructions) which got rid of the hyper flash, but the right rear turn signal works intermittently. Sometimes if I turn the right turn signal on and off quickly it will work.

The hazard lights work fine, the brake lights work, the left turn signals work, and the lights work when the headlights are on.

Any ideas? I am thinking it might be the multi-function switch.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dauis2
I have a 2000 convertible that has started having right rear turn signals. I was getting a hyper flash on the right side turn signals.

1) replaced both rear bulbs. Still got the hyper flash, though when I drove 8 hours on the Interstate, by the end of the day the turn signal would work about 90% of the time. But the next day I had the hyper flash again.

2) installed the hyperflash bypass cable from Corvette Enhancements (great service and instructions) which got rid of the hyper flash, but the right rear turn signal works intermittently. Sometimes if I turn the right turn signal on and off quickly it will work.

The hazard lights work fine, the brake lights work, the left turn signals work, and the lights work when the headlights are on.

Are they stock lamps?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 PM
dauis2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
Are they stock lamps?
They are stock lamps.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 AM
dauis2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Multi function switch problems are common on the C5. Here are some links about removing and repairing it. New is very pricey.

How to remove it link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-a-how-to.html

And a Repair link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...f-replace.html
Thanks for the links, however, my question is whether my assessment that it is the multi-function switch or could it be something else?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I think it is your MF switch also.

Here is a good and simple test that should help confirm it. Put your Hazards on and verify that all 4 brake/turn signal bulbs are flashing. Forget about the fronts.

Next put the turn signal switch to the right and see if the RR still flashes or not. If not then it is most likely the MF switch and not some wiring connector issue.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Default turn signal issues......

I also have a 2000 'Vert. I also had these same turn signal issues. My hazard/4 ways also worked fine. I suppose that it is possible that 'vert owners may have this turn signal issue more frequently than non-'Vert owners do, simply because of the increased exposure to the great outdoors. Anyway-Quite by accident, I discovered one evening that while having these same turn signal issues as you had, I had to use the 4 way flashers. I didn't put this together the 1st time or two, but after I thought about it, I realized that after using the 4 ways, I discovered, much to my delight, that the turn signal problem went away for a day or two. It wasn't long before I had to use the 4 way flashers again, and fate being as it is, the turn signals were once again acting up at the same time. Sure enough, after using the 4 ways, the turn signals were once again working correctly. So I called a local shop and they informed me that the turn signals on a C5 were routed through the 4 way flasher switch. Since it was the middle of the Summer, being lazy, being cheap, fill in the blank, I didn't want to replace the 4 way switch at that time of year. So, in the great american tradition of "If some is good, more is better", I got the brilliant idea that if I pushed the 4 way button in and out fairly rapidly (read: a one fingered, very gentle version of a Floyd Mayweather jab!), it would have a "scrubbing" effect on the contacts inside the 4 way flasher switch. Maybe there isn't even any contacts in this switch. I don't know for sure. What I do know for sure is this: After doing this, my turn signal issues went away for at least a week or so at a time. Sure, eventually I had to replace the 4 way switch (Only because "Floyd's jab" eventually broke the detent in the 4 way switch, and it would no longer stay in the "pushed in" position!!), but this single fingered "jabbing" technique band-aided the problem long enough to make it to winter storage time (I live in Michigan) and thus it turned into a Winter project. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grinder11
I also have a 2000 'Vert. I also had these same turn signal issues. My hazard/4 ways also worked fine. I suppose that it is possible that 'vert owners may have this turn signal issue more frequently than non-'Vert owners do, simply because of the increased exposure to the great outdoors. Anyway-Quite by accident, I discovered one evening that while having these same turn signal issues as you had, I had to use the 4 way flashers. I didn't put this together the 1st time or two, but after I thought about it, I realized that after using the 4 ways, I discovered, much to my delight, that the turn signal problem went away for a day or two. It wasn't long before I had to use the 4 way flashers again, and fate being as it is, the turn signals were once again acting up at the same time. Sure enough, after using the 4 ways, the turn signals were once again working correctly. So I called a local shop and they informed me that the turn signals on a C5 were routed through the 4 way flasher switch. Since it was the middle of the Summer, being lazy, being cheap, fill in the blank, I didn't want to replace the 4 way switch at that time of year. So, in the great american tradition of "If some is good, more is better", I got the brilliant idea that if I pushed the 4 way button in and out fairly rapidly (read: a one fingered, very gentle version of a Floyd Mayweather jab!), it would have a "scrubbing" effect on the contacts inside the 4 way flasher switch. Maybe there isn't even any contacts in this switch. I don't know for sure. What I do know for sure is this: After doing this, my turn signal issues went away for at least a week or so at a time. Sure, eventually I had to replace the 4 way switch (Only because "Floyd's jab" eventually broke the detent in the 4 way switch, and it would no longer stay in the "pushed in" position!!), but this single fingered "jabbing" technique band-aided the problem long enough to make it to winter storage time (I live in Michigan) and thus it turned into a Winter project. Hope this helps. Good luck.
You had a different problem. He is having only a problem with the RR lights which is NOT the Hazard switch.

We all know that if you have issues with both sides then either the normal power input contacts or the internal flasher in the Hazard switch is the expected culprit. In most cases turning the Hazards on and off helps wipe the switch contacts so they work a while longer.

Here is why:

Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM
dauis2
Advanced

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I think it is your MF switch also.

Here is a good and simple test that should help confirm it. Put your Hazards on and verify that all 4 brake/turn signal bulbs are flashing. Forget about the fronts.

Next put the turn signal switch to the right and see if the RR still flashes or not. If not then it is most likely the MF switch and not some wiring connector issue.
With the ignition in the off position, I turned on the flashers and all the bulbs in the rear flashed. When I turned on the right turn signal, they still worked. With the ignition in the on position, all the rear bulbs flashed, but when I turned on the right turn signal the right rear bulbs stopped blinking. I couldn't tell from your instructions if the ignition should be in the on position.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

With the ignition in the off position, I turned on the flashers and all the bulbs in the rear flashed. When I turned on the right turn signal, they still worked. With the ignition in the on position, all the rear bulbs flashed, but when I turned on the right turn signal the right rear bulbs stopped blinking. I couldn't tell from your instructions if the ignition should be in the on position.
With the ignition on is the only way to activate the turn signals. Sound like the MF switch is bad.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Sorry. Yes, you have to have the ignition ON for the turn signals to work.

I agree your problem is in the MF switch. If the MF switch was working for right turns it would not have interrupted the Hazards on that side.

Try it for the left turns and you will see what I mean.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM
dauis2
Advanced

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Sorry. Yes, you have to have the ignition ON for the turn signals to work.

I agree your problem is in the MF switch. If the MF switch was working for right turns it would not have interrupted the Hazards on that side.

Try it for the left turns and you will see what I mean.
Thanks for the help. I was 99% sure it would only work with the ignition on, but I'm not the most mechanically inclined. Looks like a new MF switch for me.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thanks for not calling me a dumbass.

Getting old isn't what it was cracked up to be. Mr. Sam
Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

With the flasher bypass, the right signal position should have never worked with the ignition switch off, even with the hazards turned-on.

With the system stock, the ignition switch position does not matter.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal problem

Quick Reply: Turn signal problem