C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission reinstalllation questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Transmission reinstalllation questions

Alright, so I'm FINALLY getting the Corvette put back together

I bolted the transmission/torque tube assembly together and reinstalled the linkage, but when I grabbed the linkage clamp bolt to reinstall it, I realized it was stripped out in the middle (and therefore junk), so I borrowed one of the shifter box bolts (identical) to install the clamp on the linkage; does anybody know the exact part number or size on this bolt so I don't have to take it back out and run around town?

Also, once I installed this, I threw my shifter on and ran through the gears just to make sure everything was in order before I put the drivetrain back in the car... I assume I can't get into reverse because of the lockout since the , but if I have the shifter in neutral (pin installed or not), the outputs in the differential still spin when I turn the driveshaft... is this an adjustment issue? I don't think that should be happening at all.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Not quite sure which bolt you are describing but hopefully this will help

Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not quite sure which bolt you are describing but hopefully this will help

Number 7, thanks

Where can you find these exploded diagrams with part numbers like this for the whole car? I have the service manual, but don't see it in there unless I just haven't looked hard enough...

Also, any input on the whole deal with neutral? I don't want to have issues after I'm all done with everything, since it isn't exactly cake to install and remove this thing
Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Alright, so I'm FINALLY getting the Corvette put back together

I bolted the transmission/torque tube assembly together and reinstalled the linkage, but when I grabbed the linkage clamp bolt to reinstall it, I realized it was stripped out in the middle (and therefore junk), so I borrowed one of the shifter box bolts (identical) to install the clamp on the linkage; does anybody know the exact part number or size on this bolt so I don't have to take it back out and run around town?

Also, once I installed this, I threw my shifter on and ran through the gears just to make sure everything was in order before I put the drivetrain back in the car... I assume I can't get into reverse because of the lockout since the , but if I have the shifter in neutral (pin installed or not), the outputs in the differential still spin when I turn the driveshaft... is this an adjustment issue? I don't think that should be happening at all.
The lockout will not keep you out of reverse unless the car is moving forward. If you can not get into reverse with car just sitting there, then something is wrong.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by randyfl
The lockout will not keep you out of reverse unless the car is moving forward. If you can not get into reverse with car just sitting there, then something is wrong.
The transmission isn't even in the car and hasn't been in months, so I was thinking that maybe it was in the "lock-out" position

Hmmm, maybe I should look into it further before I toss it back in there
Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Does anybody else have input on the neutral fail and the problem getting into reverse?
Old 07-19-2014, 06:29 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Bump!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you adjust the shifter?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
Did you adjust the shifter?
Not yet, but if the pin goes in, doesn't that mean neutral regardless?

I suppose adjustment is the logical next step, I just haven't had the time
Old 07-21-2014, 03:19 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

those exploded diagrams are on many dealer sales sites. i know tonkin has one with most the parts shown that way
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by racebum
those exploded diagrams are on many dealer sales sites. i know tonkin has one with most the parts shown that way
I'll have to remember Tonkin; our local ones don't have anything...

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is link to a parts manual: http://shelor.net/Z/CorvetteForum/Do...al/Default.asp
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by voda1
Thanks, I literally just found and saved that last night
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't think the stub shafts should spin if the transmission is in neutral. Grab a hold of the stub shafts and have someone spin the driveshaft. They should not spin.

If I remember correctly there were two designs of the reverse lock-out. You'll have to dig up the reverse lock out schematics and description of operation for your year Corvette to determine if it should be locked out or not with it disconnected.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by n8dogg
I don't think the stub shafts should spin if the transmission is in neutral. Grab a hold of the stub shafts and have someone spin the driveshaft. They should not spin.

If I remember correctly there were two designs of the reverse lock-out. You'll have to dig up the reverse lock out schematics and description of operation for your year Corvette to determine if it should be locked out or not with it disconnected.
Yeah, I did a little reading and it seems that 97-00 have it locked out when the lockout solenoid fails and 01-04 never lock it out when the solenoid fails. It should be the same if it's disconnected, meaning I should be able to shift into reverse without a problem.

I'm going to try to align the shifter and see if that helps. I'll also make sure my fluid is topped off (since I drained it dry before shipping it); maybe it's just hung up a bit. I didn't even think about grabbing the stubs, that's a great idea. I'll get that done today, since I have a couple hours, and hopefully be back with good news.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM
M1cke
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the transmission down on my 2002 Z06 to make repairs to the clutch I forgot to plug in the reverse lock-out solenoid when I put it all back together. Couldn't get into reverse until I connected it again and turned the ignition on.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by M1cke
When I had the transmission down on my 2002 Z06 to make repairs to the clutch I forgot to plug in the reverse lock-out solenoid when I put it all back together. Couldn't get into reverse until I connected it again and turned the ignition on.
That's odd... my service manual says the opposite, but I believe you
Weird

I'll realign and install; whatever happens, happens

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission reinstalllation questions

Quick Reply: Transmission reinstalllation questions