C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98-00 EBCM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 AM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 98-00 EBCM Thread

I am officially starting a thread for EBCM problems in the early C5's to
see if we can consolidate the solutions people have come up with...early C5 owners....Please Contribute!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's my first contribution:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...llution-6.html
Old 07-19-2014, 01:06 AM
pharestutt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate this that our cars have problems like this and GM does nothing to try to fix it. I think about it like this the Ebcm is a safety feature our cars were sold with and therefore without it working it is putting us in danger and we payed for that feature when we bought the vehicle and they don't even think enough about us to make a replacement part THERE IS CLEARLY A DEMAND FOR ONE. I guess old corvette owners don't matter any more "ITS C7 OR HIT THE DOOR"
Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 AM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Never say never. Toyota finally acknowledged that thay had a faulty air induction pump system in their 2nd gen Tundras and offered extended warranty on them, even if your truck was out of warranty, a $1800 repair. They fixed mine after 6 years. That being said, maybe GM will at least offer a replacement EBCM at a resonable cost. I would think the market for these could justify the tooling to restart manufacturing. The question is how to get to the right person or persons that can make it happen. Also, would not the C5 safety reputation be worth the attention. I'm surprised the aftermarket co's have not jumped on this. When I had my C4, pretty much all parts were available aftermarket. Probably just a matter of time.

Last edited by SoAlVette; 07-19-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

when I was at the NCM bash this spring, I asked Paul Koerner (the Corvette expert that holds seminars about the Corvette) about the situation with the 97-00 EBCMs he said that there was "relief coming". I pressed for a timeline and got no specific answer.

Maybe if Paul could elaborate....

I chased down leads with Bosch earlier this spring to see if there was a possibility of finding a pallet of NOS units (you know, ala Raiders of the Lost Arc ending scene, gathering dust. Well what I found out is that Bosch made the hydraulic portion, and Delphi made the electronic portion, so Bosch felt they had no dog in the fight. I couldn't get them even to give me a Delphi contact to call.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you think that if enough loyal, dedicated, die hard Corvette/GM customers petitioned GM that it would help? Of course, anytime you try something like that, if it does not reach the right people it is usually futile. Also, with all the negative media GM has received this year due to safety recalls, it might be the opportune time to act. I do not have a bad EBCM right now, but odds are pretty good that I will be needing one some day, and I would be willing to pay a reasonable price, say $500 - $750 for one, especially if it were OEM quality and would last 5-10 years. I would think that there are quite a few GM dealership owners or employees on the forum that could find out what direction to go in with this.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 1999 coupe that had the EBCM fail. In the end I just ended up buying a good used one from a wrecking yard. Been fine ever since. Those places that say they can repair them have not been able to. I think Chuck CoW is the only one that does any repairs of the old units. And that is just the relays when you get the C1214 code. I had the code of death C1255. I know other things can set that code along with another code. My other code was for the Yaw sensor. And that was because the unit was dead so it could not communicate with it.

Hope GM does come up with some fix for this. Between the EBCM and the SWPS these early cars can be a pain.

Get notified of new replies

To 98-00 EBCM Thread

Quick Reply: 98-00 EBCM Thread