C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak Braking with Square R-comps

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM
TBuskey
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weak Braking with Square R-comps

I will try my best to explain this in a way that makes sense.. I know there will most likely be question to follow...

Car is a 97 Coupe M6. It is used mainly for Autox. All brake components are stock with the exception of steel braided lines.

The problem that is occurring is during autox, more often than not the car experieces very weak braking ability... stops very slowly and doesn't even give enough bite to cause the abs to kick in. This is only occurring with my autox setup on... 17x9 with 275 40 17 at all 4 corners R-comp.

Sometimes the double tap technique on the brakes causes it to bite hard but not always.

Is this a problem with a square setup?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like air in the lines, calipers or ABS system. I would rebleed with scan tool to purge ABS and see if the problem persists. I wouldn't ask if I had not recently done it, but have you or anyone else had your calipers off the car? I accidentally switched my left and right front during reinstall and even after multiple bleeds I had terrible brake pedal feel. Obviously the bleeder being on the bottom of the caliper wasn't evacuating all the air. "Double pumping" the pedal would compress the air briefly and the second quick pump would improve braking, but it was still not close to being correct. Switched the calipers, duh, and all was happy in brake land.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
TBuskey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Meta
Sounds like air in the lines, calipers or ABS system. I would rebleed with scan tool to purge ABS and see if the problem persists. I wouldn't ask if I had not recently done it, but have you or anyone else had your calipers off the car? I accidentally switched my left and right front during reinstall and even after multiple bleeds I had terrible brake pedal feel. Obviously the bleeder being on the bottom of the caliper wasn't evacuating all the air. "Double pumping" the pedal would compress the air briefly and the second quick pump would improve braking, but it was still not close to being correct. Switched the calipers, duh, and all was happy in brake land.
I just bled the lines recently when I did the brake lines. The thing that seems to get me is that the brakes seem to work fine with my stock sized street tires on..

Last edited by TBuskey; 07-15-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Overheating pads?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

you may want to change to a pad with a higher heat capability and better bite. For instance the Carbotech AX6 pad description is below.

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

F: $163 R: $140 Includes 5% forum discount. Promo code z28.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM
TBuskey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
you may want to change to a pad with a higher heat capability and better bite. For instance the Carbotech AX6 pad description is below.

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

F: $163 R: $140 Includes 5% forum discount. Promo code z28.
Being that I didn't put the pads on and they are most likely the cheapest pads available.... Pad failure is a definite possibility. Good thought. I was forgetting the extra bite needed to cause lock up with the r-comps... I was too hung up on a possible ABS malfunction due to wrong size tires in rear.....I think pads may be the fix. Thanks!

Where does the AX6 fall in comparison to the hawk line? I have used HP+ before.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

hp+ is a great street/autocross pad and would likely solve your problem

the reason it's so noticeable on sticky tires is the increase in grip. harder street tires would break

this same reason is also why slicks are so hard on clutches

Last edited by racebum; 07-15-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Hp+ on the street? Not a good idea.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Hp+ on the street? Not a good idea.
Noise, dust and will likely eat your rotors very quick.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by TBuskey
Being that I didn't put the pads on and they are most likely the cheapest pads available.... Pad failure is a definite possibility. Good thought. I was forgetting the extra bite needed to cause lock up with the r-comps... I was too hung up on a possible ABS malfunction due to wrong size tires in rear.....I think pads may be the fix. Thanks!

Where does the AX6 fall in comparison to the hawk line? I have used HP+ before.
The AX6 is about the same as HP+ after AX6 the next step would be XP8.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Get notified of new replies

To Weak Braking with Square R-comps

Quick Reply: Weak Braking with Square R-comps