C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service for a used corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Franchyze
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service for a used corvette

I'm about to purchase a 99 auto C5 that was previously in an accident, I wanted to know if Chevrolet dealers offer any kind of "100 point Inspection Service" that I can have the car thoroughly checked with regards to the frame/ suspension and/or any mechanical issues that aren't readily noticeable?? Otherwise any suggestions, for what it matters I'm in Pa..... Thanks in advance
Old 07-11-2014, 12:32 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchyze
I'm about to purchase a 99 auto C5 that was previously in an accident, I wanted to know if Chevrolet dealers offer any kind of "100 point Inspection Service" that I can have the car thoroughly checked with regards to the frame/ suspension and/or any mechanical issues that aren't readily noticeable?? Otherwise any suggestions, for what it matters I'm in Pa..... Thanks in advance
Most Chevy dealers will not be knowledgeable about all the common problems you might encounter and a "100 point Inspection Service" is joke when talking about a C5. You need to have someone who really knows these cars look it over for you or you could get burned bad.
You are aware that with a 99 many critical parts are no longer available?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not sure you are ready for a C5 purchase yet if you don't even have someone lined up to help you.

My guess is you don't even know how to pull up DIC trouble codes using the dash intruments???

If I am correct we need to work with you and you need to calm down about buying any C5 until you are better prepared.

Have you ever driven one to know how a good car should perform and handle?

Don't mean to sound harsh but I don't want you to dive into this without knowing what you are getting into. Better safe than sorry.

I'll even be glad to talk with you on many things you need to know if you just PM me with your number. Mr. Sam
Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Default ignernt bastige falls into pile of sxx and came out smelling like a rose...

The title refers to myself, not you. But I headline it this way to say that my story will not be repeated soon. And here's my story...

Two years ago, without having driven a Vette in >20 years, I went on a hunt for one for my wife. I didn't have a mechanic ready. I didn't know the layout of the dash; I'd not seen the inside of a Vette since ~1992.

The short version is, I bought one without even knowing which model it was; after driving two, I purchase on based solely on its' driving performance and characteristics. I got a 6yr-120,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on a 2003 in pristine cosmetic condition. After I got it home I had to look the model up on the internet just to see what it was I'd bought. Turns out I bought the GM flagship, a z06. Further inspection showed the car had been maintained and cared for with a fanatic's fervor.

In short, my title sums it up. I bought a faultless immaculate car without knowing its' idiosyncrasies, faults, weaknesses, or strengths and learned about my car after I found it. That luck isn't common nor regular.

Read up here first; find a local Corvette club (or ask here) and ask them for a reference to a mechanic and service shop. Especially for a car that old, you need to know what you might face. Even jacking the car can present an unknown challenge.

I don't understand why you favor the '99; as the others gleaned and assume, it seems you may not be well-prepared for purchase. (There were so many revisions and upgrades to the early series of c5 that the favorites are the later models; hence, our wonderment at your post.)

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 99.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Franchyze
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BigGun
Most Chevy dealers will not be knowledgeable about all the common problems you might encounter and a "100 point Inspection Service" is joke when talking about a C5. You need to have someone who really knows these cars look it over for you or you could get burned bad.
You are aware that with a 99 many critical parts are no longer available?
Thanks, but this is exactly why I put the post out there to get some knowledge on the best way to pursue this....
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 PM
dcmock
Burning Brakes

Luv my 99 but not much left of the Orginal car! Upgrades!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Franchyze
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dcmock
Luv my 99 but not much left of the Orginal car! Upgrades!
What exactly did you swap out?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:30 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Ah... the 100 point inspection.

I bought my C5 about 7 years ago from a very large dealership. I didn't know too much about Corvettes but I know a lot about cars in general so I was confident after checking the car myself. The dealership had the standard 3 month-3000 mile guarentee. 3 weeks into it, the check engine light came on so I brought it to them. It was something minor (PVC valve) and they replaced it. But when I went to pick it up the service manager just had to tell me how badly my Corvette was running, the numerous things I needed to replace, the danger I was in if I ignored his advice....ect...ect...

I reminded him that 3 weeks earlier his service department had given the car a clean bill of health when his sales department sold it to me. He got this far away look in his eyes like there was someone standing behind me and started mumbling about them all looking alike....

I would find someone else to do any inspections that you want to depend upon.

Get notified of new replies

To Service for a used corvette

Quick Reply: Service for a used corvette