C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canada C5 sentinel fix issue - Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM
dboldt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Canada C5 sentinel fix issue - Help

I know there are several posts about deactivating the twilight sentinel and today I planned to install the 4.7 ohm resistor to replace the sensor. Defroster grill popped out, sensor assembly detached (twisted-off) no problem. I removed the black dome cover to reveal another smaller white dome that was covering a tiny silver sensor with twin wire leads attached to the harness base. I noticed a very tiny resistor as well, tucked neatly between the sensor leads Problem - I couldn't remove the sensor and resistor. The wire leads look like they can't be removed. It doesn't appear to me the leads pop-out or that there's a male female harness. Hopefully I've described my problem and someone can help - please. Thanks.

Last edited by dboldt; 06-24-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: more descriptive
Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 PM
My Vert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming you are talking about the twilight sentinel where the lights come on automatically when dark. I removed relay 44 from foot well fuse panel to shut it off.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM
dboldt
Instructor

Originally Posted by My Vert
I'm assuming you are talking about the twilight sentinel where the lights come on automatically when dark. I removed relay 44 from foot well fuse panel to shut it off.
Twilight sentinel, correct. Do you lose any functionality?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dboldt
I know there are several posts about deactivating the twilight sentinel and today I planned to install the 4.7 ohm resistor to replace the sensor. Defroster grill popped out, sensor assembly detached (twisted-off) no problem. I removed the black dome cover to reveal another smaller white dome that was covering a tiny silver sensor with twin wire leads attached to the harness base. I noticed a very tiny resistor as well, tucked neatly between the sensor leads Problem - I couldn't remove the sensor and resistor. The wire leads look like they can't be removed. It doesn't appear to me the leads pop-out or that there's a male female harness. Hopefully I've described my problem and someone can help - please. Thanks.
For the Canadian built Corvettes that you can't turn off the twilight sentinel, I use a GM Tech II and get into the BCM and say no to the Z49 option (Canadian). Then reload the BCM with this new info. Now the reset button on the DIC turns off the twilight sentinel.

Russ Kemp
Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 PM
My Vert
Intermediate

[QUOTE=dboldt;1587207426]Twilight sentinel, correct. Do you lose any functionality?[/QUOTE

Mine is a 2001 vert and all functions are still working except the twilight sentinel. Relay has been removed for at least 11 years.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:50 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is a link you need to look at. It is long but had some great info. Pulling Relay 44 should require manual operation of the headlight doors as is discussed. I am surprised "My Vert" does not have that problem.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-sentinel.html
Old 06-29-2014, 10:38 PM
My Vert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Here is a link you need to look at. It is long but had some great info. Pulling Relay 44 should require manual operation of the headlight doors as is discussed. I am surprised "My Vert" does not have that problem.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-sentinel.html
You are correct. Manually turn on lights when dark and manually turn off lights when you don't need them.......not a big deal. I figured the plastic gears would last longer if the lights didn't pop up every time I started the corvette in the garage. lol
Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dboldt

I assumed you had a Canadian car, is that correct?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM
dboldt
Instructor

[QUOTE=dadaroo;1587250247]I assumed you had a Canadian car, is that correct?[/QUOTE

Yes, Canada.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=dboldt;1587260510]
Originally Posted by dadaroo
I assumed you had a Canadian car, is that correct?[/QUOTE

Yes, Canada.
Have you looked at the link I provided? If it were me, I would pull the 2 pins at the BCM and put in a jumper with a resistor. Either that or install the resistor at the other end once I made sure there was continuity in each wire back to the BCM.

Get notified of new replies

To Canada C5 sentinel fix issue - Help

Quick Reply: Canada C5 sentinel fix issue - Help