C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine sputters at high rpm under load

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 PM
dboldt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine sputters at high rpm under load

My stock C5 breaks-up at high rpm. 32K, dry engine, not sure if/when plugs/wires were changed, idles fine runs good under normal driving. I can't do much mechanically. Any recommendation?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dboldt
My stock C5 breaks-up at high rpm. 32K, dry engine, not sure if/when plugs/wires were changed, idles fine runs good under normal driving. I can't do much mechanically. Any recommendation?
WOW! Not much I can do without you reading the DTCs using the DIC. When the engine falls on its face, SAFELY,, pull up the DTCs just after the event and see what pops up (without turning the engine off).

I would say, start with new GM Red Performance wires, check the air filter, clean the MAF with MAF Cleaner. Clean the throttle body/blade. Check the fuel pressure. Its TOUGH to check it at speed when it falters but, you may be starving for fuel at higher RPMs. Something to think about. Get the wires at www.gmpartshouse.com Good price good people...

The DTCs will help us go in the correct direction. What is the condition of your battery??? C5s are battery voltage critical/ I would have it and the charging system checked to make sure everything is good there.

When the engine falls on its face, do you see the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (CEL) flashing????????? Important info!!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 06-20-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:45 AM
dboldt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WOW! Not much I can do without you reading the DTCs using the DIC. When the engine falls on its face, SAFELY,, pull up the DTCs just after the event and see what pops up (without turning the engine off).

I would say, start with new GM Red Performance wires, check the air filter, clean the MAF with MAF Cleaner. Clean the throttle body/blade. Check the fuel pressure. Its TOUGH to check it at speed when it falters but, you may be starving for fuel at higher RPMs. Something to think about. Get the wires at www.gmpartshouse.com Good price good people...

The DTCs will help us go in the correct direction. What is the condition of your battery??? C5s are battery voltage critical/ I would have it and the charging system checked to make sure everything is good there.

When the engine falls on its face, do you see the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (CEL) flashing????????? Important info!!

Bill
hey Bill.....Thanks for your response. Battery is good and no check engine light. I'll check for codes and get back.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 PM
dboldt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Bill
Hi Bill. Some codes detected but each was followed by an H. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Hi Bill. Some codes detected but each was followed by an H. Thanks.
H dtc are important too!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a weak valve springs. Any valve train noise? If it was a misfire you'd get a dtc and maybe a flashing cel when it's sputtering.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

D Bolt - If you ramp up slowly, does it make the same symptoms? Or, is it ONLY under WOT, ramping up really fast, and after 5200 RPMs (or thereabouts) it feels as if you are hitting Rev Limiter?

I had this issue what I am describing and it was a cracked spark plug. Usually comes with a MISFIRE engine code.

Swap your spark plugs, or, check them very carefully, one by one.

Mine had a hairline crack and was hard to see. So, under normal driving, it was fine, but WOT, it was arcing under load.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 PM
dboldt
Instructor

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
D Bolt - If you ramp up slowly, does it make the same symptoms? Or, is it ONLY under WOT, ramping up really fast, and after 5200 RPMs (or thereabouts) it feels as if you are hitting Rev Limiter?

I had this issue what I am describing and it was a cracked spark plug. Usually comes with a MISFIRE engine code.

Swap your spark plugs, or, check them very carefully, one by one.

Mine had a hairline crack and was hard to see. So, under normal driving, it was fine, but WOT, it was arcing under load.
It sputters only at high rpm (5K plus). Next time I get lead-foot I'll check the rpm's. Rums fine otherwise. How high is the rev limit set? I didn't see any active codes but will check for historical codes as well. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
jusmchmidt
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sputters only at high rpm (5K plus). Next time I get lead-foot I'll check the rpm's. Rums fine otherwise. How high is the rev limit set? I didn't see any active codes but will check for historical codes as well. Thanks.
Dbolt, did you ever reach a resolution with this issue? Just experienced the same issue this morning while accelerating onto the local highway from a stop. Car runs beautiful other than the high end.

I'll start with the suggested basics, hope your was resolved.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM
uncle wilson
Instructor

Having same issue ! At low rpms ! Changed plugs gonna clean map sensor next!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by uncle wilson
Having same issue ! At low rpms ! Changed plugs gonna clean map sensor next!
Do you mean clean the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow sensor)
???
Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 AM
uncle wilson
Instructor

Yes the maf sensor! At other ideas ?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
uncle wilson
Instructor

Cleaned maf sensor doing great so far!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine sputters at high rpm under load

Quick Reply: Engine sputters at high rpm under load