C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging system Failure Message

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 AM
joewom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system Failure Message

Ok this morning got in to go to work and started up the vette. I almost missed the message but it flashed on the screen and went away. I didn't clear it or anything. Voltage was 14.2 and all seemed fine. Looked at the codes and no codes other then the two that are always present. PCM one that is there from the Tune and the TPS one from traction control. No issues starting or anything and like I said I almost missed the message I just happened to glance at the DIC.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:15 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Hopefully just a glitch. If it happened early on during starting like you describe that could be the explanation. Have you done anything lately (~ 6months) that might affect the charging system? Let us know if it happens again. Could be a loose connection or a bad lug.

Not at home with the FSM and other info to verify if that message should have an associated code.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 AM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Hopefully just a glitch. If it happened early on during starting like you describe that could be the explanation. Have you done anything lately (~ 6months) that might affect the charging system? Let us know if it happens again. Could be a loose connection or a bad lug.

Not at home with the FSM and other info to verify if that message should have an associated code.
I only owned it for a month. New battery 3 weeks ago. We did rewire the electrical water pump as that was why I was overheating as the wiring and relays were really bad. That was 3 weeks ago also. Nothing else though. It road fine to work. I will see about to go to lunch and see if it shows again.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I get this once or twice a year, never been an issue.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
I get this once or twice a year, never been an issue.
Thanks, Good to know. I will check all connections but I started it for lunch and started right up no message.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:30 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a test the system runs at startup on the electrical system, it will show this on occasion with no real problem.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I know you have not owned the car long enough but if you see the message a few times each year, forget about it. If you see it every other time you start the car then you have an issue that needs to be addressed.
Thanks. Started it 4 times after and nothing. Will keep an eye on it hopefully it's nothing!!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I just bought mine a month ago and have had that happen once but has been fine ever since. I've put about 2500 miles on since it happened.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the "charge system fault" message if I don't drive the car for a couple of weeks. Nothing to worry about if your battery is good.

Get notified of new replies

To Charging system Failure Message

Quick Reply: Charging system Failure Message