C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad BCM......

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:15 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Default bad BCM......

My 2000 C5 needs a "new" Body Control Module. Apparently G.M. is no longer making new BCM units for the 2000 C5. However, Summit has 2 different Re-Man units: The 1st is supplied by Cardone and retails for about $425.00, and the other is supplied by AC/Delco for around $700.00. Has anyone had any experience with either unit, especially the Cardone unit. I suspect that they are both Re-Manufactured AC/Delco units, with AC/Delco doing (Farming out to Cardone?!) the Re-Man on one unit, and Cardone doing the Re-Man on the other. Does anyone know what internal part (Relay, cracked circuit board, etc..) it is inside these units that fails most often? I've been told that the cars with the active handling (Yes-Mine has it...) option have more BCM failures than the cars without it do. Please help if you can. Thx-Mike.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Most BCM and other module failures are with the small internal relays that ground circuits to actuate various things.

There are several major remanufacturers like Cardone, NEC, etc. and those done via GM.

I just a got a spare PCM and BCM for my 2001 to put in my parts inventory. They were both via NAPA and redone by NEC. I paid $350 for both and that included the core charge since my modules are good. They have a 12 month warranty.

Options that are "turned on" in a module only effectively increase the failure rate if they use components/relays that would not otherwise be used or increase a component/relays use.

Remember, a reman unit only replaces what does not work.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:06 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

What indications determined it was BCM ???
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by helga203
What indications determined it was BCM ???
Don't know what "happened" to the BCM. It has never been exposed to the elements. It probably failed because it is an electrical component that is nearly 15 years old, and has an average, or above average, failure rate. If you can find a N.O.S. part (G.M. stopped making the BCM for the 2000 model quite awhile ago) they can cost $900.00, or more!! I am just trying to find out what usually fails internally, how much the failed component costs, how difficult the repair is, and if anyone has any experience with a "re-man" by either Cardone, or G.M.. Someone posted how do I know it is bad. I know because it was diagnosed by two VERY reputable repair facilities that came to the same conclusion. Trust me: Anyone who has ever had the BCM fail knows what an ordeal it can be. Basically, like one of the repair shops told me: "It's this simple-You can either repair it, replace it, or never drive the car again!! H-E-L-P!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:16 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You could pull your BCM and send it to Cardone for repair. That way it would retain all of your cars specific programming for options. Using a reman unit would most likely require it to be reprogrammed for the specific options your car had.

Not all modules can be repaired but most can.

PS: I helped one friend put in a NAPA unit and it is working great for over 8 months.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dadaroo
You could pull your BCM and send it to Cardone for repair. That way it would retain all of your cars specific programming for options. Using a reman unit would most likely require it to be reprogrammed for the specific options your car had.

Not all modules can be repaired but most can.

PS: I helped one friend put in a NAPA unit and it is working great for over 8 months.
Who , with what, and where do you get it reprogrammed. Can it be done without bring it to the dealer???
Old 06-17-2014, 08:48 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Reprogramming a BCM requires a TECH II to be able to do the entering of the RPO's on the car. Most tuners will not have a TECH II and the tuning tools that they would have can only reprogram the PCM and NOT the BCM. You would need to call around to see who might have a TECH II. Dealer for certain will have one.

When you replace a BCM with a new one you need to first match the BCM and PCM passwords in a process called BCM-PCM relearn. Without doing that you cannot start the car. here is the relearn process:

BCM/PCM RELEARN PROCEDURE

You will need to conduct the PCM/BCM relearn process. This matches their handshake ID's and allows them to talk to each other.

Do this before you worry about VATS issues:

1. Turn on the key for 11 minutes.
2 Turn off the key for 30 seconds.
3. Repeat 1&2 two more times.
4. Turn on the key for 30 seconds.

The car should start and run with the new BCM.

This will sync the PCM to the New BCM

Once the BCM and PCM are sync'ed up you can start and drive the car. However, RPO's that the car has installed MUST be programmed into the BCM using a TECH II. For example if your car had options like the F45 or F55 suspension, the BCM must be told its there. Similarly with whether the car is a manual vs automatic, etc. You can get the RPO list from the Glove box door and if you have someone that has a TECH II you can do that yourself. Not all the RPO's listed on the Glove box door get programmed into the BCM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

What symptom did your car have to make you take it to a shop in the first place?
Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 PM
psint
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helga203
I have a Tech 2 and I was going to read everything from my old BCM. I did a download but I'm not sure it's complete because now I can't get a data connection. I'm hoping a BCM will correct that problem. Are you saying I can just input the information from my glove box door with my Tech 2 and that will give the BCM everything it needs ? I was of the impression that the BCM needed selling dealer and other stuff to complete the program. Now I'm confused....
Old 09-07-2020, 06:48 AM
psint
Advanced

I'm starting to wonder what kind of drugs the Engineers at GM are on. TOO MANY MODULES !! What was wrong with your door lock switch being wired directly to the door locks. I remember a time when your ignition switch was wired to the starter and an on switch. WHAT A CONCEPT !! GM builds these over complicated module messes and then stops supplying parts.

Last edited by psint; 09-07-2020 at 06:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kh400 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:37 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by psint
I'm starting to wonder what kind of drugs the Engineers at GM are on. TOO MANY MODULES !! What was wrong with your door lock switch being wired directly to the door locks. I remember a time when your ignition switch was wired to the starter and an on switch. WHAT A CONCEPT !! GM builds these over complicated module messes and then stops supplying parts.

That would be far to simple, who is going to pay all those pen pushers if they dont over enginner the **** out of everything?
The following users liked this post:
kh400 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 AM
psint
Advanced

Originally Posted by martysauto
What symptom did your car have to make you take it to a shop in the first place?
Security System killed everything. Of course after playing with it, it finally started. I tried to check it with my Tech2. It started to read and all of a sudden said it couldn't make a connection. Occasionally when I'd try it'd make the connection and after a minute or so it would lose it again. My Tech2 says it had information stored from my car but I have no way to know how complete it is. I've already replaced the ECU and planning to replace the body module. The procedure to program the body module from the old one seems pretty straight forward, IF, what I have in my Tech2 is complete. I've been doing a lot of reading on it and it looks like I can buy a subscription to GM to program modules for $40 for 2 years. I may have to go that route. 🤯

Get notified of new replies

To bad BCM......

Quick Reply: bad BCM......