C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service column lock pull key wait 10 secs

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
mbella2000
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Service column lock pull key wait 10 secs

Hello all

I know there is a sticky on the column lock for the recall but I already had my recall done years ago and I am not in front of my pc. My car just broke down at the oil change place an hour ago. It is a 2000. The service column light comes on as well as pull key wait 10 seconds and my car stalls out at 1mph. I had codes reset, I checked the bcm connections, checked ecm fuses and I pulled the battery and reconnected. It is getting plenty of volts 14.0. My pull key wait 10 seconds light used to come on periodically maybe once a month for 2 years; now it stays on with the column light and my car wont drive and stalls at 1mph.

I know it is a common issue but I didn't see any fixes on it. I am not in front of my pc as I am getting my car towed as we speak. Can anyone shed any light on what it may need?

Thanks!

Last edited by mbella2000; 06-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 PM
mbella2000
Racer

I am editing this as that module fixed my car in 10 mins Yahoo. Info is below

Last edited by mbella2000; 06-16-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought the unlocker and other part that should keep column from locking again.....takes less than 10 minutes, excellent instructions to unlock to get home and probably less than 30 minutes to install part to keep lock from occurring...good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mbella2000
Well I found a fix. Anyone know if this definitely works? I just had my car towed and learned about the C5 LMC5 Module that is a quick fix in 10 mins. About to buy one if they work
I just had the EXACT same issues as you have. Luckily I was in my driveway and just ready to go out for a cruise.

I ordered the LMC5 and installed it in 15 minutes. Car is up and running now. Mine is an Auto 97.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Vic

Last edited by Vic'89; 06-13-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:18 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

LMC5 is the fix you want. You should be carefree from then on. Look at the installation video on their eBay ads. It does not cover all the installation so read the instructions fully.

If your column lock IS working correctly what most people do is to turn the ignition to ON. Pull fuse 23 and then disconnect the negative battery cable. Then reinsert fuse 23, turn the ignition OFF and then proceed with the install. This will keep the column lock from being in the "armed" condition to lock up when you are finished.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I was about to say the dealer pos part didn't work get a real clb relay. But you already fixed it
Old 06-13-2014, 12:55 PM
starshifter
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the LMC5 you are referring to equivalent to the CLB from Corvettes of Houston?

I installed the CLB in my 1999 MN6 C5 4 years ago and had no problem until yesterday when it rained a lot and some water got inside the car on the passenger side. [Not sure whether the water is the cause of my problems]. Now, I get the "pull key and wait 10 seconds" message followed by the "service column lock" message when I put the key back in. Since I have the CLB on, the steering wheel isn't locked but when I start driving the fuel supply cuts off.

I read through the FAQ and tried various things including recharging the battery (bought last September), pulling fuses 22, 23 and 25, resetting the codes in the DIC but I still keep getting the dreadful "service column lock" messages.

I don't know what my next step should be. I read about jumping a wire between pins 30 and 87 of the steering column lock relay module. Can someone knowledgeable please advise? Would the LMC5 module help me if I already have the CLB installed? Thank you in advance.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My 97 Auto had the recall performed at the dealer 10 years ago. They removed the PIN so the column would never lock. Also , a K-harness was installed by the dealer.

So after working for 10 years, the recall K-harness failed.

I ordered the LMC5 module and installed it. I left everything else in tact (K-harness). Car runs fine now.

If the LMC5 module fails, then I will be stuck again.

I just did this last week , so everything is still fresh in my mind, let me know if you need anything else.

Vic
Old 06-13-2014, 03:39 PM
starshifter
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you got water in the passenger foot well then you likely got water into other electrical components and possibly the BCM. If that happens then you can get any combination of problems with the car, not just Column Lock.

I suggest that you get the seat out of the passenger side and then all the carpeting to let it dry OUT of the car. Drying it in the car can easily result in excess humidity causing moisture to condense inside the aluminum can the BCM Board is located in.

FIRST step should be getting the carpet out.

SECOND step should be correcting the problem that let the water inside the car. That is likely plugged rubber udders on the wiper well drains and on the AC drain.

Here is a link about the rubber udders:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html

Next step is to dry out any other wiring in the passenger foot well that got wet. The Column Lock Relay is over there and may well have gotten wet and damaged.

Last step is to examine the metal box the BCM is in for water contamination. It it got wet, I would open the box (disconnect the battery first) take the board out and under a magnifying glass very carefully look for white oxidation stains on the board. Use denatured alcohol and a soft brush to remove those.

I would also suggest that an LMC5 may be a better alternative to the column lock problem if the column lock relay is damaged. LMC5 connects right at the BCM so all down stream wiring to the drivers side for the column lock (CLB) is disconnected and abandoned. Why spend money for parts that can be eliminated...

Thank you 8VETTE7,
I'll try to do what you suggest. The first step will be to drive the car at 1mph to the garage where I can dry it up.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the "pull key - wait 10 seconds many times: even with the CLB installed. Many times it has involved getting the key wet, either from rain or not drying my hands thoroughly after washing. In this case, the engine runs, but shuts right down if I put the car in gear and let it move a little. Drying the key and waiting a couple minutes lets me start again and drive away with no problems. However, I've noticed a few times that when I've shut the engine off, I get the "SECURITY" light flashing and dinging. The next time I put the key in and try to start, I get the "pull Key" message on the DIC. So, I do that and it starts right up and runs.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:32 AM
roymdudley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LMC5 from Compliance - THE BEST,

As a long time member of the Forum I've come to appreciate the real heros behind the many times I've been saved by the community (Thank you Bill Curlee (many times!)) and now Richard who runs Compliance Parts - the maker supplier of the LMC5 fix for the dreaded "pull key wait 10 minutes/service column lock issue.

For anyone with this issue, this is your fix. The response was fantastic, the part was a no-brainier to install and Richard was like a concerned family member who was as interested in fixing my problem as I was.

I'm suggesting the Corvette Forum start a new section just like YELP, where we could rate the vendors and members who go "above and beyond" - so, for starters 5 stars to Richard at Compliance/LMC5 and of course to Bill Curlee!

All the Best,

Roy Dudley 98 C5/San Francisco Bay Area
Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 PM
mbella2000
Racer

I just wanted to let you all know I installed the C5 LMC5 Module today. It works 100% fine. My car starts! Richard at compliance auto where I bought it from is fantastic! The guy has sold 18,000 of them and the dealers are now buying them from him he told me. He has an ebay account or you can buy them from him direct. I included the links below. He knows his stuff better than the dealer when it comes to this issue. I installed the module (it is the size of a pinky) in 10 mins first time. There is a youtube video and instructions.

This will get rid of the pull key wait 10 seconds warning, the service column lock, the stall out at 2 mph. It was the best $46 I have ever spent on any of my C5. The dealer was going to replace my bcm and charge me $1200.00 and I would have had the same issue. Links are all below. Even if you don't have the issue it is a good thing to have so you don't get stranded like I did. I had to get my car towed but I did the work myself on this little gadget. Peace all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LMC5-MODULE-97-04-C5-CORVETTE-STEERING-COLUMN-LOCK-BYPASS-FIX-REPAIR-/331182204838?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1bff67a6&vxp=mtr
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5unlocker.html

Last edited by mbella2000; 06-16-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Service column lock pull key wait 10 secs

Quick Reply: Service column lock pull key wait 10 secs