C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:11 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Turn Signal Problem

The left dash turn signal arrow started blinking rapidly and numerous pushes on the flasher button did not help. The left front TS light works, but both left rear bulbs do not. Right turn signals work correctly. When I push in the "emergency" button, all four taillights and both front lights flash normally. Brakelights (all 4) work as well a back-up lights and licence plate light. I pulled all 4 taillight bulbs and a sockets were very clean with no corrosion. The contact wires were tarnished a little, but this was easily cleaned with Scotchbrite. I found a grounding stud behind the rear pivot for the upper control arm. Sprayed a little contact cleaner on it and rubbed a little with Scotchbrite.
I bought the Tridon EL12 flasher unit and per a previous post I spliced it into the purple and pink wires coming from the English flasher unit to the white connector. The "L" post wire goes to the purple wire of the white connector while the "X" post wire goes to the pink wire.
When tested, the left dash turn signal arrow now blinks at the normal rate; however, the two left taillights do not blink.Left front TS light blinks normally. The right turn signals work normally, as well as every other light in the rear. The "emergency" flasher works all turn signal bulbs. Can someone help with this? The first time I connected the "X" post to the pink wire, I stripped the insulation and just wrappe the wire around it. Next, I cut the pink wire: no change. Lastly, I switched the jumper wire on the EL12, and still nothing changed. I'm confused.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:46 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not sure why you are butchering into your wiring harness.

Sure sounds like your Multifunction switch contacts for the left rear turn signals are bad.

Try this, put on the Hazards and then position the turn signal stalk to the left. I bet the 2 left rear lights stop flashing.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Not sure why you are butchering into your wiring harness.

Sure sounds like your Multifunction switch contacts for the left rear turn signals are bad.

Try this, put on the Hazards and then position the turn signal stalk to the left. I bet the 2 left rear lights stop flashing.
Dararoo, You are absolutely correct, and it makes no difference whether the key is in the "off" or "on" position.
Is the "Multifunction switch" operated by the stalk? Somebody has posted and excellent set of instructions for removing the stalk switch and adjusting bad contacts. Is it a fact that there are separate turn signal contacts for RF, LF, RR and LR? Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll be taking apart the "box" in front of the steering wheel.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:32 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kbluestreak
Is it a fact that there are separate turn signal contacts for RF, LF, RR and LR?
Yes, the contacts in the switch have likely failed since the brake lights work. The hazard switch/flasher failing is an all or nothing situation so it can not cause the lights on a single corner to not flash.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Yes, the Multifunction switch contains the turn signal switches. You may be able to fix it. Apparently you have the repair link.

Here is what the schematic looks like. Green and Yellow wires to the rear, Blue ones to the front. When the Hazard switch is activated the front turns are directly from the Hazard switch and only the Multifunction feeds the back.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

dadaru, thanks for your responses, I got the left rear blinkers working. Very helpful was the link showing how to disassemble the lower dash and remove the multifunction switch with stalk. When I separated the front and back parts of the mf switch I could see which contacts turned on the Right and Left turn signals when I moved the stalk. I think the contacts on the opposite side are used when the emergency flasher button is used. Moving the stalk one way causes 2 brass fingers to move down against fixed points, while at the same time causing 2 brass fingers on the opposite side to break contact. The actual contact points were hard to see without further disassembly, so I got some 1000 grit emery paper to polish the points. (Had to do 2 because I didn't know which was the rear contact.) I cut the paper 3/8" X 2" and folded in half length wise keeping the abrasive to the outside. I also sprayed in some contact cleaner. Using a finger nail to lift the brass blade, I could slide the abrasive paper between the 2 contact points. Then, I put pressure on the contact end while I pulled the paper through. I did this 10 times, then sprayed some more contact cleaner and used some plain paper to wipe the contacts clean (I hope). I reassembled and mounted the switch and everything works now.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Can you post a link showing how to disassemble the lower dash and remove the multifunction switch?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Glad it worked.

Here is a link for tommypenguin:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-a-how-to.html

Tommy, if you need any more help/guidance just PM me.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Turn Signal Problem

Quick Reply: Another Turn Signal Problem