C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Caliper covers

I know this is a cheap way to hide my stock calipers but i'm 70 and retired on social security. So don't have tons of cash to throw around.

My question is i have a 98 vert and i saw it says u need 1/8 inch clearance to fit em. The backs have all the room in the world for clearance. The fronts r what has me worried they dont appear to have very much room for clearance at all.

So has any 1 put these on their C5 and how was clearance on the fronts? I have 17's in front and 18's in the rear. They r the 2002-04 ZO6 chrome rims.

Also thinking about getting the rotor covers if u guys know anything about those please to let me know.

Thanks alot

JIM
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Just paint your calipers, makes a world of difference and it's as cheap as a rattle can of paint, some masking tape, and some brake parts cleaner.

I don't know how spry of a 70 year old you are, but the calipers are pretty easy to remove with hand tools. The caliper brackets were each bolted on at the factory by satan's personal trainer, and they are awkward to get to.

I suggest removing the calipers, clean them up, and shot a couple layers of paint on them. For the brackets, leave them on the car, mask the area VERY well, and paint.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:37 AM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amount of torque to loosen the caliper bracket bolts can be reduced significantly by heating the "knuckle" that each bolt threads into with a propane torch for about 2 minutes. This softens the Locktite so all you have to do is break the original torque. The caliper bracket needs to be removed to get the rotor off. Mr. G.R. will sell you new Loctited knuckle bolts for a few bucks apiece, but you can wire brush the threads of the old ones and use Loctite Red from a small bottle.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:45 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely agree with painting. Much cheaper, you get to choose exact color you want. and its pretty easy to do. Covers look tacky. I see them on all manner of otherwise stock vehicles with autozone vents and stuff and think, "wow" what a cool modified car haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper covers

Quick Reply: Caliper covers