C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:01 AM
GreggHammer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DIC Issues

Could a faulty alternator cause problems with the DIC function? My gauges work, but DIC buttons stopped working. Any advice would be helpful; as my DIC can't pull codes or scroll through the options menu...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:52 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

No the alternator would not affect that. The DIC button pad may be bad or it could be an IPC issue. Does the DIC display act normally otherwise to display the odometer or Corvette by Chevrolet?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Tela83
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem with my 97 A4 Coupe 143k miles . The DIC will function normally at start up but will soon start scrolling through the options menu non stop until it gets to the "QC NUMBER". Pressing a different button will change the menu temporarily to what you pressed but it will soon go back to the options scrolling and then ends on the QC number. I've had the car for about a month thus far and am trying to work out the small issues. Hopefully this is an easy fix for us.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM
GreggHammer
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
No the alternator would not affect that. The DIC button pad may be bad or it could be an IPC issue. Does the DIC display act normally otherwise to display the odometer or Corvette by Chevrolet?
It displays "Corvette by Chevrolet" then goes to the odometer but none of the buttons in the pad seem to work. Can't retrieve codes or check systems via the pad.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

If it were me, I would try another DIC switch with buttons. It may be bad. If not it would be the IPC itself. Of course the DIC switch wiring connection at the IPC could have come loose.

Can you get the display to show "door ajar" or any other type on normal indications that should show up without the use of the DIC switch?

If you end up having to pull the DIC and want to do it yourself it is not a hard project, just takes a little time. Here is a one link:

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html
Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Good call Chuck. I should have had him verify good battery voltage. The older I get the more tunnel vision I have.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 AM
GreggHammer
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Have you tried setting the display to something other than the odometer, say engine temp or oil pressure while the car is running and then shut the engine off and remove the key for half a minute or so then restarting the engine? Does the display come back to what you had it set to before shutting it off or does it come back to odometer??? If back to odometer then there is a battery issue. Voltage is dropping below a threshold value (perhaps when you crank the engine) that causes the electronics to reset. Voltage may be adequate to start the car but NOT to properly power the electronics.
It comes back to odometer. Before digging into a DIC project, could it be that the alternator is not putting out enough power? I have a brand new battery which seems to be holding up, but my thought is that the alternator isn't putting out enough amps. and I'm not sure if it's the original unit. It's a 99 FRC, 6 speed. 60145 miles...
Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 PM
GreggHammer
Instructor

Default Working!!!

Got the keypad changed out, but it didn't seem to fix the issue. Pulled the (I think) BCM from the passenger footwell and cleaned up a splice and that seemed to fix the problem temporarily. Drove up the block and the keypad stopped responding. Pulled the fuses that are marked for the IPS on the diagram and noticed they were blue, but not blown. Cleaned and reinstalled them, seems to work again (for now). While I was in there I found a purple wire from the star connector spliced into the same color and gage wire leading to the lower BCM connector, those two spliced into a relay of some kind that was not mounted anywhere, just kinda hanging behind the BCM. The previous owner did an HID headlight upgrade and LCD bulbs, could that be what the relay is for? I was able to pull these codes:

40-BCM B2587 H
60-IPC B1527 H
40-BCM B2592 H
60-IPC B1527 H
40-BCM B0507 H

Any advice or input would be appreciated!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 AM
GreggHammer
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The first two BCM codes are from the column lock system. The IPC code says the Options button on the dash is possibly shorted to ground. (Or perhaps stuck in the depressed position.)

The BCM B0507 says the left driving light relay is experiencing a problem.

Those spliced purple wires and the relay are part of the GM Column Lock Recall service for the 99 and 2000 manual trans cars. They provide a protection from the column ever locking while the vehicle is in motion. Yes it looks mickey mouse but it is actually what GM sent the dealers to perform the "Spliced purple and relay mod" that was a part of the NHTSA forced Column Lock Recall. Prior to 99 there was no "Column Lock Relay" so there was no need for that mod and from 2001 through 2004 GM did the modification as a part of normal production. The wire from the BCM that sends the unlock command to the lock motor was spliced into and fed to a 5 pin ( factory relay in 99 and 2000 was only 4 pin) on the SPDT relay that keeps a positive 12 volts on the lock motor in the UNLOCK direction that prevents the column from locking accidentally while the car is moving. DO NOT mess with that wiring. If you have NOT already done so I suggest that you get and install an LMC5. Google "Compliance Parts" without the quotes for additional info on the LMC5.

Have you cleared all the codes and then driven the car and then pulled the codes again BEFORE you shut off the ignition?? If not then I suggest that you do that. Codes that return are the ones you need to worry about correcting.
Noted the codes (as I posted earlier), confirmed that they were present then cleared them. Drove around, stopped for gas, got home and checked for codes: NONE PRESENT! Did get the "Pull Key, Wait 10 Sec." warning so going to order the LMC5. Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:46 AM
GreggHammer
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreggHammer
Noted the codes (as I posted earlier), confirmed that they were present then cleared them. Drove around, stopped for gas, got home and checked for codes: NONE PRESENT! Did get the "Pull Key, Wait 10 Sec." warning so going to order the LMC5. Thanks for the help and advice.
No codes today when I arrived at work...

Get notified of new replies

To DIC Issues

Quick Reply: DIC Issues