C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Spark Plug Wires

Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
drseth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying Spark Plug Wires

I usually use amazon.com when buying auto parts, and they are not showing the GMPP Red Wires, but they do have these Vulcan 8.5mm wires for a good price. Is there that much difference between wires?

Are the thicker wires supposed to be better? My car is stock, no headers.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM
thumpinc5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taylor Spiro Pro wires.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Gene can help you out...this is where I got mine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-v...rts-house.html
Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 PM
devilredc5
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 spark plugs wires

I installed msd 8.5 red wires with NGK tr55 plugs purchased online from Texas speed. The package cost about $80 bucks.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Gene at GMPartsHouse.com can get those for you. Give him a call. That's where I bought mine from, along with a set of AC/Delco Iridium plugs.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I was just reading in the wall street journal about amazon shipping .

The article was about how they handle some common shipments . Sellers of the same goods have their wares stored together, so if you buy from shop A , you might get the same barcode, but provided by shop B. It goes by the barcode. THe problem is that some counterfeit goods get through from sellers and a reputable seller might send you counterfeit without knowing, because they share the shipping bin with anything, from any seller, with the same bar code.

Not saying this would happen to you, the story's example was ice cube trays, and probably Vulcan wires are as good as any. After all , how many plug wire manufacturing machines are out there. Some wires must be very much alike, and the manufacturing must be well understood across the industry by now. I do wonder how one could tell a boot leg Vulcon set from a real item.

I went with GM wires and plug , from a sponsor here, even though I don't send out much GM fan mail. I respect their parts division quality and investment, particularly in comparison to most other sources.

I once went to a corvette restoration seminar, with two brothers imported out of Texas, at the Petersen car museum. They are probably the guys most would go to , if they have the money and the car. I had neither. But I did get some good advice, besides talking to people. They told me always buy GM parts, provided money was not the issue. It certainly makes parts buying decisions easier. They are top restorers, not race builders, so they are not installing superchargers on C3's and such.

Good luck on your buying decision.

Sorry to be so long on such a simple request.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying Spark Plug Wires