C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 12:45 AM
Fahtrim
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (66ImpalaLT1)

I have em & I luv em.....
Old 07-20-2002, 12:57 AM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (jmX)

Also, those A&A frame savers dont look like they would do that much to me. With the amount of pressure the car puts on that, it seems it'd twist the flimsy metal the wheel is bolted to and scrape anyways.
The bars (yes, not part of the frame, part of the radiator support) are about 1" square tube. The tube is attached at both ends, and could support a huge amount of weight, easily the weight of the car or the force applied when hitting a steep driveway (which can be more than the weight of the car). It's only when the tube is ruptured that they will become weak.

A tube is strong for resisting deflection for the same reason an I-beam is. They have a high moment of inertia. The material is present where the greatest stresses occur (the outer edge) and absent where the stresses are weakest (towards the center). I don't doubt you could jack up the car by these bars, when they are in good condition. Mine are worn half way through and the bottom is unable to support a load at all (when a load is placed on a beam, the bottom is in compression, the top is in tension. It'd be the opposite in this case since the force is applied upward). Imagine how weak an I-beam is when you cut it in half and try to use the top and bottom seperately. Or the difference in strength between a intact paper towel roll, and what it would be if you cut along it's length and spread the materal flat.

When the tube is weakened enough to break in the middle (or is worn completely through), it will be a cantilevered beam sticking out, supported by the radiator support. The connection to the radiator support is designed to support verticle load and horizontal load, not a torque, since the bar is attached at the upper end as well. When you apply a force at the end of a cantilevered beam though, you do get a torque at the other end, and since it is not designed to withstand a torque, it'll bend upward and possible scew up the bottom of the radiator. If it caught and bent downward it'd be even worse, since the moving car would bend it backward or rip it off.

I guess what I am trying to say is that this is not a cosmetic scrape, because it is damaging the tube in a way that causes it to not be able to withstand the forces it was designed for, and will hence exert other forces and torques on attached parts, in ways they are not designed to withstand.

My surprise over this is because I didn't realize that scraping (which I regularly ignored) would lead to the failure of this part. It's not dangerous or anything, but it is important to know that regular scraping can eventually (a few years at my rate) lead to damage the radiator support and possibly the radiator (after the tube breaks or wears through in the middle).

The [extreme stupidity] was not that I didn't get Andy's wheels sooner, but that I never looked underneath my car and instead continued to damage it, when I have heard scraping on an almost daily basis.

It seems obvious in retrospect what will happen if you scrape metal on concrete and asphalt that often.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:19 AM
shamam
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Miles in Michigan)

Same post in general
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=346244

:crazy:
Old 07-20-2002, 11:25 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Skeeter1)

David, David, David...... :nono:

I'd loose sleep for a month over that...I'd spend the money to replace them... :eek I am way too **** to let that slide "no pun intended"

So what:confused: its just the underside of the frame thats scraped, there is no real damage to the frame and no one can see it, whats the big deal ?
Old 07-20-2002, 06:34 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (chuckster)

Wow, I'll have to check mine out -- bad driveway at the last house.......

Tom
Old 07-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Skeeter1
Drifting

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (luvinc5)

the clinical name is "Obsessive compulsive disorder":lol:

A lot of vette owners are perfectionists...that sort of decay would need to be fixed by the perfectionists.
ps... guess with my car recently being flood damaged, this seems a little trivial to be bringing up :nopity

[Modified by Skeeter1, 6:34 PM 7/20/2002]
Old 07-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Cyrus
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Skeeter1)

Man, as one compulsive to another....that looks nasty! :eek:
Old 07-21-2002, 09:49 AM
sandyg
Pro

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Cyrus)

After scraping my front bumper support only once I installed a set of frame savers and do not have a single scratch since then.I would not want to leave my car like that even if I can't see the damage. I know it is there.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (sandyg)

I didn't buy any until I was visiting Andy. I can't believe I didn't buy them before...they are a must and will be going on my new car too. Price per pound, per mod, they are one of the essential best mods IMO.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:03 AM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Miles in Michigan)

That must happen all the time... :eek:
Old 07-27-2002, 11:19 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Smoke-N-Shot)

It's not just the damage. It's just so much easier driving around when you're not worried about the inevitable "crunch" on steep driveways etc. At the sale price, it's a no brainer.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:25 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Andy@AandACorvette)

I can actually claim to have really watched my new Frame Savers in action only minutes after being installed. I got the infamous "Service Column Lock" right in front of Andy's work bay. He went ahead and installed the Frames Savers and the Rails and we then commenced to watch them work very nicely as the car was dragged butt first onto the flatbed tow!

I also have a steep driveway where I live as well as numerous speedbumps at my office garage. These are a no-brainer mod folks. (And the wheels look kewl too!))

:cool:
Old 07-27-2002, 02:04 PM
Biohazard
Instructor

:cry :cry :cry :cry God help us All..mine look kinda bad. :cry :cry :cry :cry

02 coupe...not too steep of a driveway...just enough... :U :U :U
Old 07-28-2002, 05:28 PM
nassau99
Instructor

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Biohazard)

hey guys, i've lowered my car and was thinking of mounting the frame savers that i just ordered on the BOTTOM of the rails instead of the side. any problem with doing that? my thinking is it would save some wear and tear on the lower spoilers-the rollers would make contact an inch earlier, before the spoiler dragged. what do you guys think??? TIA :confused: :D
Old 07-28-2002, 11:08 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (DouglasWc5)

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Old 07-28-2002, 11:51 PM
fight4yourrights
Instructor

The painted nose doesn't look too good either. :nono:
Old 07-29-2002, 11:01 AM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Re: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers... (Stingray1967)

I installed the Framesavers a few hours after bringing my 2003 home. On this car, I don't want the occasional scrapes I got on my 2000 before I installed 'em. And yeah, it's not that the damage is so fatal (except for the MilesMichigan car!!) but that horrible *cccrrrrunccch* noise....everyone in line at the disco turns and looks and laughs at you for running your Vette into something.....you want to get out and explain to that sweet thing in the miniskirt that "It's the low hanging frame bars!! I didn't hit anything!! I'm not drunk! I'm still cool!! The bars scrape steep driveways....honest!!!"

And guys....after you install the Framesavers, how about dabbing a little black paint on the bolts and nuts to finish the job, okay? It looks rice to have stuff bolted to your car and have the bolts show!!

Get notified of new replies

To [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers...

Old 07-29-2002, 11:30 AM
mrkln
Le Mans Master

Ouch. Looks like it is time for me to give Andy a call. :yesnod:
Old 07-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I've scratched mine a couple times but DAMN!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Nothing like that!
Old 07-29-2002, 04:40 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

yep that sucks...

Quick Reply: [Extreme stupidity] What happens if you DON'T get Andy's frame savers...