C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Fan Shroud Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Bobothree
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Fan Shroud Install

Does anyone have a secret way of getting the fan shroud between the radiator and engine? I have tried from the top; horizontal, vertical then turning the left lower fan up. I tried to install from the bottom. I have removed upper radiator hose.

Nothing has worked.

Any proven suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

This means it is time for a beer.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It literally just drops in from the top.... You might try pushing the top of the radiator forward a little while you drop the fan shroud in.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I think it's easier from the bottom... my radiator is tilted back and it's easier if I remove the sway bar to give me plenty of room... been awhile since I've looked at a stock one but you might have enough room without having to remove the sway bar... just push up from the bottom to release it from the tabs on the radiator and if installing just push up until it clears those tabs and it will fall into place
Old 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Bobothree
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an answer to my own post. Thanks to others that replied. Perhaps what I discovered will help others.

The fan shroud is difficult to remove and install do to lack of clearance. Whether just installing the shroud or installing the radiator. I recommend the following:

Remove the radiator hoses. Drain the coolant if you haven't already. Using rope, gently cinch the radiator forward looping one end to the radiator an the other to the hood levelers near the front of the car. Then slide the shroud into the clips on the radiator. Connect the radiator hoses. Then cut the ropes. It is very simple and much easier to do than any other solution recommended in the Corvette Service guide or the forum.

Also, as pointed out in another Forum post, cut a piece of cardboard the size of the radiator to cover the radiator vents to protect them from damage. In the attached picture the blue line in painters tape used the hold the cardboard to the radiator. Once the radiator and shroud are in place remove the cardboard.

See attached picture:
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Fan Shroud Install

Quick Reply: C5 Fan Shroud Install