C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gain of +11.75HP/14.0TQ From just wires is this bs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philadd
In series or parallel?

Parallel, that way the resistance is half of zero.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:41 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They certainly ohm out as good as it gets. And they look very nice with the boots, well made. That alone might be worth the price of admission for me. But I wouldn't expect anything extra out of them, just a nice set of wires. Any reason they would be bad with that little resistance?

Last edited by IRON MAIDEN; 04-25-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
They certainly ohm out as good as it gets. And they look very nice with the boots, well made. That alone might be worth the price of admission for me. But I wouldn't expect anything extra out of them, just a nice set of wires. Any reason they would be bad with that little resistance?
Re-read my post! Stick with stock!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I went to school for automotives, I remember a class in which an early 90's mustang was the example for the wire resistance question. The timing and settings on the car were set with the resistance of the spark plug wires calculated for. When moving to a wire that was outside of the factory range, the engine ran terribly. Even with less resistance wires.

Now an LS engine has much less resistance with its short and more efficient wires, but in theory, that has been accounted for in the factory tuning and the resistance should remain the same for optimum performance. All you are doing with less resistance is allowing the current to get to the spark plug ever so slightly faster, which in effect may give the tiniest advance to your spark. This can calculate to a little more power, but nothing noticeable. And once you do any big mods that require tuning, its all going to be set differently anyway.

Most would agree that the spark system is so good on these that you really cant make a difference with a wire swap.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 AM
tstrobl1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These wires will go perfectly with my electric supercharger!

Quick Reply: gain of +11.75HP/14.0TQ From just wires is this bs??