C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Butt

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Autobot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leaky Butt

Well, I thought I was okay, but my car has got **** leakage...wish I could give it some imodium or something, but I don't think that will work.

I was getting the car ready to drive for this year when I discovered the issue when I was jacking car up. I did the oil change, etc and took it for a drive, no issues/noise. My plan was to change the diff oil anyways, so I took some pictures yesterday so I could get some help identifying the source. There has never been any oil on the ground, but the oil level was below the bottom of the filler plug, not sure if it was like that from factory or not though.

Question is, where is the source? I am guessing the seals are the most likely spot. Most of the evidence is gone now, it got cleaned when I was changing the oil.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Autobot; 04-22-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:04 PM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Most likely the axle seals....a pita to change with the rear in the car...but can be done...you have to drop the rear suspension and pop out the half shafts and somehow get your tools in there to remove the old ones ( I used a regular wood chisel to get under the lip of the seal). The new ones just tap in with a large socket as the tapping surface.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=101986
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

unless it's leaking on the floor i would just check the oil yearly and wait till you do a clutch or have to replace something else.

lot of work for a little seepage...actually it's not even the work. it's the pain in the *** factor unless you drop the rear as mentioned
Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Autobot
Racer

I have been reading all of the previous threads on this and it does seem to be a PITA to do. I think it will be fine if I monitor, but the stupid thing is that it bothers me. If I had time, I would totally tear this apart and not care, but the better half gets impatient if I spend too much time with my mistress lol.

Thanks for the reply's, is there a way to confirm that it is the output seals and not the sides, what are the symptoms of a stuck breather?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobot
I have been reading all of the previous threads on this and it does seem to be a PITA to do. I think it will be fine if I monitor, but the stupid thing is that it bothers me. If I had time, I would totally tear this apart and not care, but the better half gets impatient if I spend too much time with my mistress lol.

Thanks for the reply's, is there a way to confirm that it is the output seals and not the sides, what are the symptoms of a stuck breather?

Thanks guys.
While it is a PITA, to a degree, the biggest PITA that I found was breaking loose the bolts that hold the Bearing Hub assembly to the knuckle. I had replacement knuckles with new ball joints for all 4 corners so everything got taken apart. You might be able to pull the 1/2 shaft out of the diff. without having to take the hub assembly off.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:32 AM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
While it is a PITA, to a degree, the biggest PITA that I found was breaking loose the bolts that hold the Bearing Hub assembly to the knuckle. I had replacement knuckles with new ball joints for all 4 corners so everything got taken apart. You might be able to pull the 1/2 shaft out of the diff. without having to take the hub assembly off.
You can, I have my trans/diff out right now replacing seals. I took the knuckles loose at the upper ball joint and left the axles attached to the hubs when I dropped the cradle.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 78GEN3
You can, I have my trans/diff out right now replacing seals. I took the knuckles loose at the upper ball joint and left the axles attached to the hubs when I dropped the cradle.
There ya go !
Old 04-24-2014, 05:49 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

and if it's leaking thinner red fluid in the center like mine was, it's probably because the trans-diff mounting surfaces don't have a gasket. it was a little less of a pain to fix, but you basically can remedy the situation by prying the two apart a little bit & running a bead of black RTV around the rim & then bolting it back together.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 AM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
and if it's leaking thinner red fluid in the center like mine was, it's probably because the trans-diff mounting surfaces don't have a gasket. it was a little less of a pain to fix, but you basically can remedy the situation by prying the two apart a little bit & running a bead of black RTV around the rim & then bolting it back together.
If the trans to diff flange is leaking red fluid there is a failure of the output seal.
The trans to diff has an o-ring which seals against diff fluid, not trans fluid.

You are probably thinking of the trans extension to trans flange which does not have a gasket, and would leak trans fluid.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:22 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

yeah, there
Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 PM
gairno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Autobot
Well, I thought I was okay, but my car has got **** leakage...wish I could give it some imodium or something, but I don't think that will work.

I was getting the car ready to drive for this year when I discovered the issue when I was jacking car up. I did the oil change, etc and took it for a drive, no issues/noise. My plan was to change the diff oil anyways, so I took some pictures yesterday so I could get some help identifying the source. There has never been any oil on the ground, but the oil level was below the bottom of the filler plug, not sure if it was like that from factory or not though.

Question is, where is the source? I am guessing the seals are the most likely spot. Most of the evidence is gone now, it got cleaned when I was changing the oil.

If you want to see some pictures of one being done me and my buddy use to do this all the time. It would take us about 5 hours to do. You can check out the pictures on his web page. Californiacorvettecustoms.
Go down and on the left side it will say C5 Rear Differential Leak Repair.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 969 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I can see you getting in deep **** doing this on CA streets with all the BS laws there
Old 06-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Biotex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gairno
If you want to see some pictures of one being done me and my buddy use to do this all the time. It would take us about 5 hours to do. You can check out the pictures on his web page. Californiacorvettecustoms.
Go down and on the left side it will say C5 Rear Differential Leak Repair.
If I was to drop the rear as done in the step by step procedure listed in the CaliforniaCustoms website to replace the seals, would an alignment need to be done after reassembly?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 AM
onlyavette
Pro

I am curious to know how long it has been since that was cleaned? That is what mine looked like when I bought it. It had 80k on it. I cleaned it right after I brought it home and it is still clean after 12k miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky Butt

Quick Reply: Leaky Butt