C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 balancer not in line with accessory pullies

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default C5 Z06 balancer not in line with accessory pullies

Need some advice here, My harmonic balancer has moved out about a 1/4" from the crank (Not sure if the bolt is loose or the rubber is seperating), My car does have an aftermarket cam so I am thinking maybe they did not replace the bolt upon reassembly. I have done a search and get mixed reviews, I plan on purchasing a new OEM balancer as I do not want to spend 300-400 on the ATI unit that is recommended. I have seen many people talk about pinning the balancer but that is mostly on FI applications. Is this something I should do, & can anyone direct me to a link to a pin kit?

For the install is there any easier way to do this than removing the PS rack?

Is there any way to verify the current balancer is good without removing it? I was thinking I could drop one side of the rack & have the space to replace just the bolt. My thinking behind this is since the car has an aftermarket cam, it is more probable that the problem is the bolt being re-used or improperly installed could be the culprit.

Opinions?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

I have tracked my C5 about 35 times and after about 10 of those times my balancer walked on me. Gingerman, especially, is a third gear course and 4000-6000 rpm much of the time. I replaced it with a OEM balancer, Torqued it to GM specs--another story in itself--and then pinned it. Another 25+ hpde's and it has not moved. The hardest part is getting it torqued properly. If it has moved that much you need to replace it. Myself, I would not chance using the same one but putting an new one in.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gordy M
I have tracked my C5 about 35 times and after about 10 of those times my balancer walked on me. Gingerman, especially, is a third gear course and 4000-6000 rpm much of the time. I replaced it with a OEM balancer, Torqued it to GM specs--another story in itself--and then pinned it. Another 25+ hpde's and it has not moved. The hardest part is getting it torqued properly. If it has moved that much you need to replace it. Myself, I would not chance using the same one but putting an new one in.
Can you give me any info on the pin you used? Did you purchase a kit?

If I am going to go through this trouble I want it right. For tourqing it properly I saw people saying put the car in 4th gear and have someone stand on the brake.. I guess I will try that.

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Possibly the person doing the CAM reused the OEM bolt. A big NO-NO.

No way to get to the bolt other than drop the rack out of the way. You can get under the car and with a mechanics mirror to inspect the balancer and see if the rubber is separating from the inner and outer hub/pulley. May also be able to do that from the top. Also when the bolt is loose it usually backs itself out and up against the rack.

Since you are going through big work to get to the bolt, you might as well replace the balancer while you are there and avoid having to go it again. It's more than 10 years old and the deterioration of the rubber center has already started for certain. I would not use an OEM bolt. They are onetime use torque to yield and throw away if replacement is necessary. ARP makes a replacement that can be reused and is far simpler to torque. If you want to pin the balancer you certainly need rack completely out of the way to get in there to be able to drill the holes in the crank snout and balancer into which the pins will be inserted. If you are doing this yourself you need to be certain NOT to turn either the rack or steering wheel while the rack is out. Doing so changes the position of the steering wheel position sensor and you will have TC and AH problems if moved.

I bought the car as is, so the cam swap was already complete, Not sure who did it therefore am questioning whether they re-used the stock bolt.

I think you are right though I may as well replace the balancer while I am there, New OEM unit is only about $80 bucks, will also look into the ARP bolt. Now just need to find info about pinning the balancer to crank. I watch 'Froggy's' youtube video and it seemed very time consuming & extensive. Hopefully it wont take me that long since I will be doing it on my 2 post lift.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
STLSPARKY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my low mile factory replacement separated and waked its way up to the steering rack. bought a powerbond for added insurance
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STLSPARKY
my low mile factory replacement separated and waked its way up to the steering rack. bought a powerbond for added insurance
Was it an OEM unit, as in 'GM'?

Part # or link t othe powerbond unit?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
.....No way to get to the bolt other than drop the rack out of the way.
I can't agree 100%. 3 years ago, when I did the CompCams trunnion upgrade to my car, I wanted to be sure I wasn't torqueing the rocker arm retaining bolts against the tension of the valve springs. Therefore, I rotated the engine by hand, so each cylinder had both valves closed, when I R&Red the rockers. I was able to rotate the engine using an offset, combination box/open end wrench on the balancer bolt. Obviously, you couldn't properly torque that balancer bolt with that wrench, but on the other hand, you could at least check for some kind of torque being present.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by maroon88iroc
Was it an OEM unit, as in 'GM'?

Part # or link t othe powerbond unit?
PB1117SS = non-underdrive
PBU1117SS = 25% underdrive

Good unit. Shop around. Big variation on prices. Hinson Motorsports has the NU for $184.99 and the 25% for $199.95. Pretty sure the SLP unit is actually a PB.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM
kmetros
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Pin it and be done with it. Mine walked with just a mild cam and I installed the new bolt that walked myself, so I know it was done right. The second new bolt never waked on me.

Kurt
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to run a new OEM balancer, Pin kit, & ARP bolt. Will also be ordering the balancer install tool.

Going to order everything today and tear everything down friday. Hopefully can finish install this weekend. Need to get this done so I can tear my truck down for a cam install as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

The OEM balancer has a history of common failures. Why get an OEM as a replacement? You are asking for another failure. Mine failed at about 30k miles.

If cost is the concern, at least get a PowerBond replacement. From O'Reilly's they are about $100.

The ARP bolt was my choice too. The pin kit is a good choice too. The balancer installation tool is needed, but you can do it for less by finding the right threaded rod and a few nuts and washers (it could save you a few dollars).

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i wouldn't use an OEM balancer if it was free. A c2501 from Summit is about $190 and will last forever (well almost). It is an eight rib but you only use the front 6. I'm FI and it is pinned and has served me well for 6 years. Rod
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Balancer

The balancer replacement is not that hard, I just did mine, use the proper tools to remove and install the balancer. I would also use the arp bolt. The biggest pain is the steering rack, use a 18 mm crows foot flare nut wrench to remove the hoses. Ther are many threads on the forum.......good luck.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QCVette
The OEM balancer has a history of common failures. Why get an OEM as a replacement? You are asking for another failure. Mine failed at about 30k miles.

If cost is the concern, at least get a PowerBond replacement. From O'Reilly's they are about $100.

The ARP bolt was my choice too. The pin kit is a good choice too. The balancer installation tool is needed, but you can do it for less by finding the right threaded rod and a few nuts and washers (it could save you a few dollars).

Good luck.
Decided on the OE balancer mostly b/c my stock one has 108K miles & is just now having an issue. Also Gordy above tracks his vette (alot harder driven than mine will be) & says he hasnt had a problem with his OEM after 25 + track days. Also I do not want to spend 200 + on a balancer but I have not heard about this $100 powerbond unit untill now. So Thanks for that info! I checked on the Powerbond & it is $98.99 at Oreilly's I used to work at oreillys for many years so I can probably get it a little cheaper. I figured the OEM would be a better part than an aftermarket replacement.. So the Powerbond will be a better option than the OEM balancer from GMpartsdirect?

Last edited by maroon88iroc; 04-24-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 AM
rodsvet
Pro

Yes!!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

........ I figured the OEM would be a better part than an aftermarket replacement..
Wrong.

So the Powerbond will be a better option than the OEM balancer from GMpartsdirect?
See above.........
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 AM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

I am just now getting to where I am doing this work, unfortunately I am a DUMBAZZ and ordered everything except for the pin kit b/c I thought summit would have it and they dont

The only pin kit summit has is a side pin which will not work with the powerbond pulley I bought.

I have everything torn apart and really want to drive the car to a car event tomorrow afternoon that I am hosting, what do you guys think about pinning the front of the crank WITHOUT the kit?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Doubt that it's possible. The pin kit includes a fixture that when bolted to the crank acts as a guide for the drill bit to perfectly align the pin between the crank snout and balancer. I don't see that happening without it.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 balancer not in line with accessory pullies

Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Your PB balancer doesn't have a keyway? Both mine do, but both are 25% UD versions.
You should be able to find the front pin kits from various sources. Texas Speed, or maybe Hinson? Also Tick Performance or Brian Tooley.

Ron
Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Your PB balancer doesn't have a keyway? Both mine do, but both are 25% UD versions.
You should be able to find the front pin kits from various sources. Texas Speed, or maybe Hinson? Also Tick Performance or Brian Tooley.

Ron
The factory replacement PB balancer does not have a keyway. I have found several front pin kits available by order but I really want the car done tomorrow for a car event I am hosting.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Don't put it back. Wait and do it right. Rod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Z06 balancer not in line with accessory pullies