C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another driveline sound.. need help...

Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
tuckin22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another driveline sound.. need help...

Hey Guys,

I have done a lot of reading and have come up short... I have a few other noises that my camera cant pick up but this is the worst...
I have heard that possibly pilot.. or TOB... or TT couplers... or clutch...

A little background
Clutch/TOB/Pilot/Slave/Master is all new... I have a new 383 with maybe 500-750 miles on everything... I already know the slaves/TOB's can go but I know what that is like as I already had to replace with 0 miles on the clock...

Noise does not appear at idle
noise appears to be worse in reverse... when car is under load like going uo a hill...
I am thinking this is the root of the problem for when going forward...

the noise is not as prominent however it does a lower volume of what is in the vid as well as whines...and somewhat stays while coasting in gear... and then once put in neutral the noise goes away...

If I can get out of pulling the clutch I would love that... TT is not so bad but the clutch I could not stand that... flippin pain... But I don't want to go in blind either...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

When you replaced the clutch was any inspection done on the TT drive shaft couplers?

How many miles on the car? I assume no replacement of the couplers in the past.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM
tuckin22
Instructor

I failed to inspect them....

I doubt they were changed by the previous owner however that doesn't mean they didnt..

It has 115000 roughly on the clock...
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

If I understood what you said it seems like the couplers are the issue. When in neutral they are not loaded so the noise would be reduced. At your mileage replacing them would be a good PM measure.

If you go to replace the couplers I would pull the clutch and inspect everything. If all looks good then put it back in. Take a lesson from what you didn't do when you did the clutch .

You could try to put on a lift and remove the rear tires and put it in and out of gear and listen for where the sound comes from. However you can't do much RPM and with no rear tires on there is not going to be much load on the driveline.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 PM
tuckin22
Instructor

yeah I guess you are right... next time I should inspect everything since it is already ripped apart.

Anyone have any input as to whether these aluminum couplers ones are better than the rubber ones?
I would imagine they would be a stronger joint however at the same time be weaker due to there being no give as there would be in the rubber ones.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I would not use aluminum unless it was a pure drag strip car.

There are some that use a stiffer poly type material. That is what I would use if I replaced them.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

If it only happens in gear my bet is it's a bearing in the transmission.

In neutral the clutch, throwout bearing, drive-shaft and input shaft are all spinning. So if it were any of those, you'd hear it sitting in neutral.

Put her up in the air and have a helper put it in gear and listen with a stethoscope.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:16 PM
tuckin22
Instructor

yeah that is true... I am going to have to check one more time before I take it to the shop... I cant remember if I had the clutch in while in neutral or not...

Get notified of new replies

To Another driveline sound.. need help...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another driveline sound.. need help...