C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Choosing Oil Cooler Size

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Help Choosing Oil Cooler Size

I will be adding a thermostatically controlled oil cooler to the (550rwhp + 300 in nitrous) 402 LS2 in my C5. I am wanting to go with a stacked plate oil cooler, but have no idea what size to get. I am currently looking at a 16 row Derale model, would this be sufficient?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

basically, how would I determine how many BTU cooler I need.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the oil cooler i got from Summit. Mine is also a Derael. I run HPDE with my car and i never see over 240 *F in a 30 min session, My car is a H/C/I car making about 475whp and this unit keeps up with it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-51610/overview/

hope this helps.

Also, mounting location helps with cooling. Mine is located in front of my Rad/Condenser.

IMO, skip the thermostat and make a block-off plate for when it is cold.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

That is the 1 I was looking at, I just wish it was not powder coated.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

I will probably end up getting this 1, it is more money but is not painted or powder coated.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fl...0115/overview/
Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Up to you of course, but I can tell you this cooler works! Also the one I am using has AN 10 fittings instead if AN 8.
10 will help keep excessive restriction down and oil pressure normal.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

if you look at the ports where it comes out of the engine, they appear to be 5/16" - 3/8". When I go out to the garage next I will measure them and then match up the hose size with that. The cooler is the whole reason I chose the high volume Melling pump
Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN
if you look at the ports where it comes out of the engine, they appear to be 5/16" - 3/8". When I go out to the garage next I will measure them and then match up the hose size with that. The cooler is the whole reason I chose the high volume Melling pump
What block adapter are you going to use? That will determine what size AN line and fittings you will need. Also, you might consider that you will want your line size to be bigger than the outlet/inlet from the block. This will slow down the velocity of the oil giving it more time in the cooler. just another .02
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

I will be using the thermostatically controlled adapter from Improved racing. I can get it with what ever size AN I want.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Just get the complete kit from Doug Rippie Motorsports. Their kit is really nice. I got the track version. The cooler is huge. Nice braided ss lines, -10an, block adapter and fitting. Keeps my car cool during hpde at 600rwhp.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

yea, and their "kit" is 2-3x what I can put 1 together myself for. no thanks. I am not spending $600+ when it can easily be done for $350.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:46 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2-3 times? Really?

Running cheaper cooler, cheaper lines and with extra labor there is no doubt that you can build a kit with less money. But please don't over dramatize the situation.

Your kit so far with the parts that you are talking about at already past your 350 mark and you are 1/2 way there. With shipping and etc you will be surprised on what building a kit really cost.

At the end of the day, if you need any help or odd parts please let me know! We do offer military discounts and are one day shipping to you.

Randy
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
2-3 times? Really?

Running cheaper cooler, cheaper lines and with extra labor there is no doubt that you can build a kit with less money. But please don't over dramatize the situation.

Your kit so far with the parts that you are talking about at already past your 350 mark and you are 1/2 way there. With shipping and etc you will be surprised on what building a kit really cost.

At the end of the day, if you need any help or odd parts please let me know! We do offer military discounts and are one day shipping to you.

Randy
I built my kit for just under $300 installed and it works as good if not better than any kit you can buy.
The DRM kit is great for those who cannot, or do not want to build a kit themselves.

Last edited by liquidforce917; 04-23-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:27 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

One perfect example based on the information that you provided about your kit.

Here is the oil cooler that you used. (china made)
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...607483020.html

Here is the oil coolers that we use. (Sweden made) Used on a ton of top Road race teams, Nascar, indy, rally, off road and etc.
http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oilcoolers/index.html

Apples to apples comparison? NOPE Apples to oranges? YEP

Randy
Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
One perfect example based on the information that you provided about your kit.

Here is the oil cooler that you used. (china made)
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...607483020.html

Here is the oil coolers that we use. (Sweden made) Used on a ton of top Road race teams, Nascar, indy, rally, off road and etc.
http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oilcoolers/index.html

Apples to apples comparison? NOPE Apples to oranges? YEP

Randy
Im not trying to knock your product. Everyone know you guys make quality stuff!

Yes my cooler is made in China, but what does that have to do with its ability to perform? I made a gamble on using a $100 oil cooler compared to your $200 and it has worked flawlessly. That is what the forum is about, people learning from others mistakes/triumphs. Im just here to share what I know works, and my oil temps from HPDE at Sebring speak for themselves.

Also, I didn't mount my unit behind the radiator/condenser where it would receive already hot air.
Engine Oil is the first (critical) fluid to receive heat, therefore it should be first in line to be cooled. My lines are not steel braided, they are braided nylon with a thermal sleeve to keep the heat flux from the headers down.

If needed we can discuss the heat transfer that is experienced in these systems. As a Mechanical Engineer I know a little about Thermodynamic/ Fluid systems.

-Brian

Last edited by liquidforce917; 04-23-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Brian,
I have been fighting the war with Asian parts for a long time on price points and quality. I do strongly think buying parts from the company that did the R and D on the style cooler is important. Because it leads to more R and D, innovation, plus and most important they hold their parts to a high level of quality control.

The racing world is funny with opinions. Many race engineers feel that the oil cooler should be mounted behind the radiator. Because the water temps are most important. I agree with you 100 percent, because of many reasons, packaging, control of temps and importance of keeping the oil temps over water temps.

Selling a high end parts kit for a small profit is completely different then selling off shore parts for the same amount of money with huge profit. That is the point I have been trying to make.

To the OP, run -10 lines. Yes the outlet port is 1/2 inch, but run the -10 or even -12. We feeling the -12 is too big for packaging. Fluidyne coolers are nice, but run a couple inches bigger then the Setrab or copies of the Setrab.

That is all I have to say about that, for now anyways

Randy
Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

I love setrab coolers, I just can't afford them. If I could find a cooler that is reasonably priced and Made in the USA I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I can have it all for about $400-$450 which is still $200 cheaper. I am not knocking your company or your products, they are just priced out of my budget and would be paying for the labor that I don't need because I can assemble the lines myself.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Fluidyne are built in Mooresville NC.

Setrab are built in Sweden. Sweden is really good at chainsaws, station wagons, oil cooler and really good looking girls.

C and R is down the Mooresville area also.

I totally understand. Many of my friends and family have been stationed at Fort Bragg. Raises are non-existent and pay scale is not like it would be in the private sector. So with that being said, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service!!! You guys and gals come first, I wish the people in Washington would think like I do on that subject.

If you need any thing please let me know,
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Help Choosing Oil Cooler Size

Quick Reply: Help Choosing Oil Cooler Size