C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear tires hitting wheel wells

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default rear tires hitting wheel wells

I have a 2003 VERT with F55 Magnetic suspension. I have just 17,000 miles on the car and it is a nice weather, weekend cruiser. I decided the finally change the tires from the original run flats that were still on the car to non-run flats of the same size F 245/45 17 R 275/40 18.

I don't drive the car that much, but a few weeks later (maybe 2 weeks later) I noticed that when I hit a good bump, the rear tires were scraping inside the rear wheel wells. WTF! I assumed it had something to do with the new tires. I know the rear of the car can be raised up by tighting the end nuts on the monospring, so I did that and raised the backend of the car up about one inch which seems to have stopped the problem. But I can't see how changing the tires to the same size would cause this problem and maybe something else is going on. Has anybody had a similar experience when going from run flats to non run flats?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran a 325/30 on mine and hit the inner fenders, now since removed. So factory size tires shouldn't be an issue unless like mentioned you are running improper offset aftermarket wheels. Or possibly your shocks are compression too much due to fatigue. Lifting the vehicles ride height would help alleviate the issue but not the cause if that's the case.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Horps27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your upper control mounts were effed, or bolt came loose, or either one of those points moved you could get massive toe in or out and it could do that.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

everything if factory stock, rims, wheel wells, etc (except the outside body). I'm wondering if I have a failing rear Monospring or failing shocks. Whole thing makes no sense to me.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Horps27
if your upper control mounts were effed, or bolt came loose, or either one of those points moved you could get massive toe in or out and it could do that.
I'll get under the car this weekend to see if anything came loose.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Seeing as you have raised the car up you will need to have the car aligned so as not to ruin your new tires

Also different tires, even though same section width the 275 number, will have different tread widths. The 275 is from sidewall to sidewall of the tires. Manufacturers will vary the tread ratio from 80 to 95 percent of the section width

Last edited by mrr23; 04-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To rear tires hitting wheel wells

Quick Reply: rear tires hitting wheel wells