C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crushed dust cover on Bilstein shock - Do I need a new shock?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Crushed dust cover on Bilstein shock - Do I need a new shock?

I have a track day coming up on the 28th and was swapping out my brake pads and rotors this weekend in preparation. I noticed that my driver front dust cover on my Bilstein Sport shock was wrinkled from I guess the shock being compressed (or maybe it just got caught on something?).
I pulled the dust cover down and everything looks fine, the car sits fine, and seems to handle fine.

Do I need to replace the shock or are there other things I can do to test it to ensure its okay? The car maybe has 8 thousand miles on these shocks and the passenger side was fine.

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:11 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The cover doesn't really do anything except for the metal insert at the top which is part of the bushing/mounting. They're pretty flimsy too so I can't see the cover wrinkling causing any binding or handling issues. If it's all crunched up then I'd just cut/rip the plastic cover off myself.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing and given my car doesn't see a lot of miles, it shouldn't see a lost of 'dust' either.

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Crushed dust cover on Bilstein shock - Do I need a new shock?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crushed dust cover on Bilstein shock - Do I need a new shock?