C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 bad BCM symtoms

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 bad BCM symtoms

If a BCM goes bad what are the symptoms? I'm not sure if this is my problem, but everything I've tried seems to point to the BCM! I can't determine what I could have done to blow the BCM. I was putting back in the center console and the next time I tried to start the car things showed up. The gauges don't cycle, but some of the lights on the dash panel light up, i.e., the seat belt icon for one. Everything else is out. The power door locks work, but the power windows don't. The heater control lights up and appears to work, the radio doesn't come on. The headlights work, but the interior lights and the fog lights don't work. Also the trunk switch doesn't work. The power seats do work.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? I sure could use some help!!
Thanks - Rick
Old 04-21-2014, 01:26 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

What were you working on behind the console? I agree it sounds like a serial buss issue. Need those codes.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 AM
ricklee
Intermediate

Default Nothing at the time!

Originally Posted by BigGun
What were you working on behind the console? I agree it sounds like a serial buss issue. Need those codes.
I had run the car a few days earlier and everything was working fine. I had the entire interior out, cleaning the carpet, freshening up the the inside. I put the key in to move the shifter back (automatic) so I could install the console and that was when I noticed the gauges didn't cycle and the interior lights were out. Really can't think of doing anything that should have caused it! Like I mentioned earlier, I had been running it and I had driven it without the console and pass seat in it. Everything was fine!! When I find out what's wrong, I'm sure it's going to be something stupid that I did!! I will try get the codes ASAP. Thanks for checking with me. I'll let you know as soon as I get the codes.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ricklee
I had run the car a few days earlier and everything was working fine. I had the entire interior out, cleaning the carpet, freshening up the the inside. I put the key in to move the shifter back (automatic) so I could install the console and that was when I noticed the gauges didn't cycle and the interior lights were out. Really can't think of doing anything that should have caused it! Like I mentioned earlier, I had been running it and I had driven it without the console and pass seat in it. Everything was fine!! When I find out what's wrong, I'm sure it's going to be something stupid that I did!! I will try get the codes ASAP. Thanks for checking with me. I'll let you know as soon as I get the codes.
The connectors for the power seats have been know to cause issues such as this.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Default No Codes

There is no codes showing. When we were checking for codes, we couldn't connect to some of the things not working. The only one that isn't working that we could connect to was the radio.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Default Would the seats be working?

The connectors for the power seats have been know to cause issues such as this.
I only have the drivers seat in the car and it's working fine. The car was doing OK with the pass seat out before this issue started. At this point, I'm not sure of anything!!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When you read the DTCs in the DIC,,, what EXACTLY does it say????

Does it say NO COMMS or NO CODES It has to say something for each module..

Try this

Open BOTH doors. Grasp the rubber accordion tube and squeeze it and find the wire harness between your fingers. Shake the harness hard several times. Do that for both doors.

Then see if your issues goes away.

If it does, let me know. You could have bad connections in the door power connector which causes the serial data line to go NUTS

The drivers seat connector can get damaged and do the same thing.

Bill
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Try this

Open BOTH doors. Grasp the rubber accordion tube and squeeze it and find the wire harness between your fingers. Shake the harness hard several times. Do that for both doors.

If it does, let me know. You could have bad connections in the door power connector which causes the serial data line to go NUTS

Bill
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Try this

Bill
Bill - The DIC is one of the things not working. I had a friend come over last night with his Tech 2 scanner and it didn't show any codes, and anything that isn't working he said the scanner was showing "no connection". I'll let you know ASAP. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Try this

Bill
Bill -I tried the above and it didn't do anything. I took the door connectors apart that didn't do anything either. I'm lost, not sure where to go from here. I rechecked the grounds to be sure they're clean, nothing. I'm sure open for more ideas!!
Thanks for everything. Have a blessed day.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I extracted this out of a recient post to save typing. Disconnect the STAR Connector and see if that does anything for you:

Sounds like you have a corrupted serial data buss. Its pretty common for the LDCM, RDCM or the Seat Control Module to cause your exact issues.

Look in the passengers foot well to the LEFT of the big silver box (BCM) and find the two thin connectors. The connector with FOUR wires connects the LDCM, RDCM or the Seat Control Module serial data wires to the rest of the serial data buss. The TOP of that connector is a shorting bar. Remove the top of the connector and see if the problems go away.

If that solves the issue, you most likely have damaged female pins on one of the connectors for the LDCM, RDCM or the Seat Control modules. Normaly its the door control module connectors that have spread female pins but Ive see the seat connector that get damaged and causes the issues

BC
Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Bill, I haven't had a chance to try your latest suggestion. I'll let you know as soon as I can try it. Hopefully that will be in the morning before I go to work. Thanks again for all you have done to help me out.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:17 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

I extracted this out of a recient post to save typing. Disconnect the STAR Connector and see if that does anything for you:

Sounds like you have a corrupted serial data buss. Its pretty common for the LDCM, RDCM or the Seat Control Module to cause your exact issues.

Look in the passengers foot well to the LEFT of the big silver box (BCM) and find the two thin connectors. The connector with FOUR wires connects the LDCM, RDCM or the Seat Control Module serial data wires to the rest of the serial data buss. The TOP of that connector is a shorting bar. Remove the top of the connector and see if the problems go away.

If that solves the issue, you most likely have damaged female pins on one of the connectors for the LDCM, RDCM or the Seat Control modules. Normaly its the door control module connectors that have spread female pins but Ive see the seat connector that get damaged and causes the issues

BC
I moved the top of the connector and nothing changed. I woke up early this morning thinking about this and I remembered when I was putting the drivers door together I plugged the clear plug for the door switches into the door control box. As soon as I did it I realized I had the wrong one and replaced it with the correct clear plug. I checked the pins to make I didn't bend any and I hadn't. Could I have shorted something out when I plugged in the wrong plug? The battery was connected so power was hot at the plug. As I think back the problem started the same night!! If you don't mind let me know what you think about this. Thanks - Rick

Last edited by ricklee; 04-25-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
With that bit of info I start checking the fuses in the passenger foot well fuse box. Most circuits are protected by fuses so hopefully it is a fuse or two issue. Worth checking.
Thanks, been through the fuses and relays several times over the last week. All good.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 PM
ricklee
Intermediate

Default Nothing bad but my memory!!

Originally Posted by ricklee
Thanks, been through the fuses and relays several times over the last week. All good.
You were right, check the fuses!! I did check every fuse in the car and they were all good. The problem is, sometime back (and I don't remember doing this) while I had the interior out, I must have blown a fuse, taken it out and forgot about it. I didn't fine it until I started testing every fuse and relay by the repair manual. I got to a fuse that wasn't in the car, put one in and guess what? Yes, everything is working. Getting old and forgetful isn't fun.

I want to thank everyone of you guys for all of your help.

Rick
Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 AM
06CobaltSS
Advanced

Try this

Bill
I just had the same exact issue as the o.p.

I checked every fuse in both panels and they where all good. Then I tried shaking the door harness and it fixed the issue. thanks
Old 06-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 06CobaltSS
I just had the same exact issue as the o.p.

I checked every fuse in both panels and they where all good. Then I tried shaking the door harness and it fixed the issue. thanks
Just shaking the harness is a TEMP fix as best. Get cracken on fixing those door power connector female pins.

Your problem will be BACK when you least need it to happen. That's Murphy's 5th Law!!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 bad BCM symtoms

Quick Reply: C5 bad BCM symtoms