C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS C1283 After Head and Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 PM
69vettecan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TCS C1283 After Head and Cam install

Hi All;
I have a 2000 C5 and after driving my car on the road after the head, cam, under drive pulley and intake install I was getting the Active Handling warming up and then it went to service active handling after about 10-15 minutes of driving. I pulled the code and its a TCS C1283. I tried reset the code a 3 times and it kept coming back sometimes taking 20 minutes +/- before the service active handling came up.

Also after 1 reset it was flashing between active handling warming up and service active handling.

How can I resolve this issue as before the head, cam, under drive pulley and intake install I had no issue.

Please help its driving me crazy
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like a steering wheel sensor... steering column is disconnected from the rack, during a cam install, it's possible the steering wheel was rotated 360 degrees from where it should be causing the sensor code. OR the sensor has gone bad, just happened at the same time as the car was worked on.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 AM
69vettecan
Intermediate

Yes the steering rack was disconnected and the battery was disconnected first before any parts removal.

Thoughts on what I should check or look for?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) is now misaligned from ZERO/wheel straight ahead.

The EBTCM cannot perform its SWPS Alignment test because the angular displacement of the steering wheel is so far out of adjustment or way far off zero.

You either had the wheels pointed other than straight when you removed the steering shaft coupler and they were move straight when it was reassembled AND OR the steering wheel was rotated 360 deg from it original position from where it was removed.

Either way, you are going to have to electrically figure out which way to turn the steering wheel to FIX the error.

NOTE.. There is an air bag CLOCK SPRING that attaches the steering wheel to the column. If you turn it too far the wrong way, you will break that spring....
Old 04-18-2014, 03:04 PM
69vettecan
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments
So I must disconnect the shaft remove the bolt and then turn the steering wheel left or right 1 full turn or?
Sorry just wanted to get the correct steps here.
Does anyone have any pics of this process?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The problen is,,, You have to GUESS which way and how much to turn the steering wheel. If you have a GM tech 2 it makes it easy.

Like I stated before, if you turn it too far one way, you will break the clock spring.

Bill
Old 04-18-2014, 08:37 PM
69vettecan
Intermediate

Thank you I will try to find someone with a tech 2 to help me out with this

Get notified of new replies

To TCS C1283 After Head and Cam install

Quick Reply: TCS C1283 After Head and Cam install