C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Dies Just Cranks

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 AM
Angel Garza
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dies Just Cranks

ok so im new to this forum guys, ive read a couple of postings and am very impressed with the amount of information everyone here has on dealing with C5's I just got the car last july, got a good deal cuz it needed work and was excited, now at this point, not much excitement anymore.

Heres what it does,

It fires up fine cold, like mornings, after being left for a couple of hours

Sometimes it drives about 5 miles before it hesitates then turns off

All guages work, only thing flashing is "check guages" light and RPM is at 0 and oil pressure at 0 aswell when it occurs when its driving i figure cuz the engines off, all the other guages work fine, at start up everything works

Has also occoured while in park,
after symptom presents themself and the car acts up, it just cranks
sometimes hear a fire and just turns off,

i noticed when i have the hood open a bad shake in the motor and will persue untill it cools sometimes 10 sometimes 20 minutes.
then it fires right back up and i take it home very upset

this last time driving it home it died on the road and started back firing while i pressed the gas down and pumped it.

these are the codes
pcm
p0706h
p1571h
tcs
1255h
bcm
b2527hc
b2723h
u1016h
u1096h
radio
u1016h
hvac
b0361h
b0363h
b0441hc
ldcmb
2264h
u1064h
u1096h
rdlcm
u1064h
u1016h

Not sure if this ones listed but in the past ive gotten the Anti lock brake system malfuntion happen.

ive checked the catalistic converters and they are fine
changed the crank sensor with an ac delco one
installed the column lock bypass
and done the ignition key pelet bypass
ive come to think now its the cam position sensor that ive come to find out is under the intake

other info is that its rained a bit and water has gotten in the car but all guages and electrical work fine

ive been thinking that this might affect the wire that reads the keys resistance and plugs into the car under the dash (dont know where havent looked yet)

ive also cleaned the grounds on the a pilars and scratched the metal to make sure they have good contact

NOW one of my biggest worries is the ABS computer.. Is that a possibility that if it fails will it kill the car while its running???

ive read that the traction control system retardes the ignition so you dont spin out and loose control hen you floor it, if it fails will it cause my car to die??

thanks in advance guys
Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 AM
Angel Garza
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also forgot to mention the reason i changed the crank sensor was because the guy who had the car before me got to close to a curb or something and the air dam was pulled forward and it overheated on me not all the way to the red but enough to notice the heat, i turned on the heater on the off ramp and then it died, ive also read that the crank sensor is close to the exaust manifold and i thought that was it but its not :/

Quick Reply: 1997 Dies Just Cranks