C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default oil pressure issues

Here we go, I've got a friend that has put a 6.0 LS motor out of a truck into his jeep. They changed the cam and added a carbureted intake to the motor before install. They had some problems initially getting oil pressure but ended up pressurizing the block (somehow)and the oil pressure came up to normal. Fast forward about a year, it took that long for the jeep to be completed and it "was" just started occasionally, it has just lately hit the streets. The owner did a romp on the motor (about 6500+- rpm) and the oil pressure dropped to zero on the mechanical gauge and it didn't not come back up. I'm told after disassembly everything looked perfect inside the motor and they blamed the lack of oil pressure to the cam retaining plate not completely sealing a oil passage. The oil galley was air pressurized and they had a some leakage at this plate. They were told @ the dealership this plate has to be replaced every time its removed. Is this a sure enough a requirement during a cam change? Any information concerning the need for replacement of this plate will be appreciated. Bottom line, do I need to get a new one on hand for my LS1 cam change. I hope this makes sense. Thanks
Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Man, all the people on here that have done and do cam changes and nobody will answer this question. hum
Old 04-19-2014, 09:07 PM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I never replaced mine. Just inspected the seal to make sure it was good to go. That's just me..,
Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Many cam changes and I never replaced the plate.

Question: Did they replace the small o-ring gasket (rubber) on the oil pickup tube, where it bolts to the oil pump ? That seems to be a problem area even if the old gasket looks perfect. Sometimes it will not re-seal.

Last edited by pit-man; 04-20-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 AM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pit-man
Many cam changes and I never replaced the plate.

Question: Did they replace the small o-ring gasket (rubber) on the oil pickup tube, where it bolts to the oil pump ? That seems to be a problem area even if the old gasket looks perfect. Sometimes it will not re-seal.
They said they did but I wasn't involved in the cam change. I can't see that seal bleeding all of the oil pressure off. I think the pump was sucking air at that pickup tube. They did check and the barbell in the rear is in place also.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:31 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

VERY important to not only replace the oil pick up tube O-Ring BUT to make sure it doesn't pop out when you re-install --It happens quite often !!!
ALSO what oil pan are you using ?????
WHICH port are you using on the engine for the oil pressure gauge ??
Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Problem resolved, found out the guys put a blank over the cooler ports. Cant do that, it must have a special blank that allows the oil to circulate from one port to the other. Originally put the engine back it and still had no OP, change the plated and got 40PSI Idling hot and 60PSI off throttle.

Get notified of new replies

To oil pressure issues

Quick Reply: oil pressure issues