C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Bad Harmonic Balancer / cam install advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM
CJDetroit
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Bad Harmonic Balancer / cam install advice

Looking for advice,

New to Corvette Forum as of today. Figured I would ask guys that don't care to make a buck of of me and will give me honest advise on the matter. It's my first vette so I'm kind of a novice. I drive it more then I work on it.

99 c5 96,000 miles
with the following work done:

Cold air
Ls6 Manifold
Thermostat
Throttle body
Plugs / wires
Full length headers
Exhaust

So hers the deal, The Harmonic Balancer is bad and needs to be changed as it clearly has a "wobble" it makes the screeching sound and the belt jumps forward. The motor does not burn any oil out of the ordinary. Do I just replace the balancer and if so with stock or do I replace with a performance part ant upgrade to a cam as I'm told most the labor is already done and to do a cam now would be the time.

If doing a came should I replace with all comp springs / rods / lifters? As well as timing chain assumption,y and oil pump?

If so what is the best Cam set up for this and what size? I'm not trying to build a race car but I would like to let vipers read my plate!

Thanks,

Craig
Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Search my name and look for d1sc install and you will see my balancer install with cam springs the whole nine yards. Lots of pics. Do everything while you are there also pin the crank. I would talk to arun@ ccp for cam specs and complete packages. Think you are gonna need alot more then a cam for vipers to read your plates. Unless its a early 90s

Last edited by Chicago1; 04-16-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 Bad Harmonic Balancer / cam install advice