C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM
jmilne1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idler pulley

Need some help. Bought a new idler pulley from autozone, duralast one. but it seems bigger than stock one... When i put it on the car it would not spin freely, am i missing something here??? do i need to add another washer or something? i used original bolt a washed that come off original part. thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure if you have a side by side photo, but based on your description is sounds like the bushing that the bolt goes through is missing (not transferred) or too short. It sounds like when you tighten the bolt the tensioner is hitting the block and not rotating freely.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
jmilne1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure if you have a side by side photo, but based on your description is sounds like the bushing that the bolt goes through is missing (not transferred) or too short. It sounds like when you tighten the bolt the tensioner is hitting the block and not rotating freely.
yeah the new pulley itself seems to be little bigger, depth wise. when the new one was tightend down it was hit the block and not spinning freely. think i am just going to return it to autozone and get one from gm.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilne1976
yeah the new pulley itself seems to be little bigger, depth wise. when the new one was tightend down it was hit the block and not spinning freely. think i am just going to return it to autozone and get one from gm.
What a deal!! Several years ago, I had a similar situation when installing a new timing set on my Camaro. I installed the gears and chain, tightened everything up, and the engine wouldn't turn over.....the back side of the cam gear wasn't machined correctly.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Pulley

I just changed all pulleys and tensioners they should be the same size. Some replacements are sealed and don't require the old washers.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an '04 and recently changed an idler pulley during a water pump R&R. I initially also used the original washer that was on the pulley being tossed. It turned out that the shape of that washer caused it to contact the rotating body of the new pulley. I found a spare washer that fit from my tool box and used it. Problem solved. As I was trying to figure this out, I learned that the original washer also served as a dust cover. Edge-on, that washer looks like part of a flying saucer (if you've ever seen one).

- Win

Get notified of new replies

To idler pulley

Quick Reply: idler pulley