C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on purchasing a C5 base vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:09 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on purchasing a C5 base vette

Hello everyone! I just recently joined the forum and have some questions concerning the C5 base not z06.

Ok so for some background, I am 19 years old and am coming from owning (and currently owning) a 2003 Bmw 330I sport. When I had first bought the car i was in love with the way the thing handled and the way it looked. It never gave me any major problems for the first 9 months or so. But recently for the last year the car has been nothing with but a major headache with maintenance.

So far i've had to replace the valve cover gasket, tensioner pulley (both done myself for about $300).

Spark plugs, fix an air leak, and some other stuff ($1000)

Transmission fluid and something else (I forgot lol.) $600

Fuel pump (done myself for $200)

And I currently have the car in the shop for a power steering pump replacement ($740)

And then i STILL have to deal with replacing the Catalytic converters (over $1000)

Ive had this car for a year and a half and have dumped $2840 just to keep it running right

Add the catalytic converters and theres another grand

And then theres the fact that the cars headlights only work when they want to. Plus a bunch of other things

So the whole point of this little rant is I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS PIECE OF CRAP CAR. And Im gonna trade it in for a different car.

Lately I've been researching the heck out of a ton of cars and one that stuck out to me the most (and surprised me) was the C5 corvette. It would seem from what I have read that this car is a pretty reliable car that can also be fixed relatively easy if something does go wrong. I've also read that gas mileage is pretty impressive for it, and above all is a BLAST to drive

I even called my insurance and they surprised me with an insurance quote that is less than all the other sports cars ive compared it to. So I figured with all this great stuff about the corvette, I'd go get me one as soon as my car is fixed. I was dead sure of it.
HOWEVER....

I am limited to a budget of 20k and being that the c5 is relatively old, the mileage ranges from 70k all the way up to 140k!!

So I took into account that this car is old and is gonna have problems. However I read a thread somewhere on this forum about common problems on these cars and now it has me worried that this is just gonna end up the same way as my BMW. And Lord knows i DONT want that again.

So my question ( and Im sorry for the long post) is exactly HOW reliable are these cars really? I plan on buying one with an A4 tranny.

Will every other month be a nightmare or at least similar to my BMW?

Are parts for these cars expensive? And is the work for most problems easy to fix? ( I plan on DIYing)

Any advice or assurance in buying this vehicle is greatly aprreciated. And I look forward to being a member of this forum.

Also please feel free to add any information you think I should know about buying one of these cars. Thank you all for your time, and i look forward to your answers

SORRY!!! forgot to add, on average, how long does the auto transmission last?? Thanks again

Last edited by tro209; 04-15-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

EVERY car on the road,, has issues. Just go to any brand dealership service center waiting room and you will hear horror stories.

On a better note,, I LOVE my C5 and for the most part, it is a pretty reliable car that can easily get 28-30 MPG highway 17- 18 mpg combo on a stock build.

NOTE! 97-2000 C5 have "NO LONGER PRODUCED OEM parts".
EXAMPLE: If the electronic brake control (EBCM) module is bad, there are NO NEW PARTS and the used parts are EXPENSIVE. However, the 2001+ C5 use a repairable and still obtainable OEM part. So,,I recommend that you put a 2001+ C5 on the shopping list...

I do ALL my own repairs.

Before you purchase a C5, learn to use the BUILT IN Diagnostic Code Reader and read all the DTCs. See if you can clear them and see if they come back during the test drive. Learn how to look up the DTC and see what it means and how it effects the vehicle.

If you are handy and use the forum to your advantage, you can use, maintain and repair your C5 and not break the bank.

Ive seen some used very low mileage nice reliable C5 for sale. They are out there. you just have to keep your eye out and dont be afraid to travel to go get it.

Read this post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...must-read.html

Here is how to read your DTCs:

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Codes

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:

1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. NOTE! You can read the DTCs with the engine running and or driving down the road but it can distract you. BE careful! Some DTCs clear themselves when you turn the ignition OFF!

2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold OPTIONS
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL four times within a 10-second period.

Initially, on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.
There are two kinds of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current C code indicates a malfunction is present and active in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes.
More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.
Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.
Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except English/Metric (E/M). Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press and hold the RESET button To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles.
Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5. You can GOOGLE the DTC and also find information on it.

Here is very good site that explains the DTCs:

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/C5DTCcode.html

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix!!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

the car is over 10 years old, all normal. these aren't cars for people who can't do their own work

gets expensive quick

condition is also the big one with these cars. many have been ran hard and put away wet. i looked at quite a few c5s and early c6s before i bought my c5z

hard to find an elderly owned 1-2 owner car, all stock with no signs of abuse
Old 04-15-2014, 04:44 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just logged on to get some answers on that myself. Maybe a 1998 which would probably have 80K miles or around that. How well would it be holding up?..So about the same question for a daily driver to work etc.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Like Bill Curlee stated above:
EXAMPLE: If the electronic brake control (EBCM) module is bad, there are NO NEW PARTS and the used parts are EXPENSIVE. However, the 2001+ C5 use a repairable and still obtainable OEM part. So,,I recommend that you put a 2001+ C5 on the shopping list...
Just my 2 cents
Old 04-15-2014, 05:13 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Originally Posted by Smoken1
Like Bill Curlee stated above:
Just my 2 cents
Thanks there's plenty of info to go on here. With after-market parts there is a fall off in quality but it really depends on which parts. Computer engine parts may not be so hot for example.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 PM
HP Racing
Advanced

I have 04' C5 Base, driver leather and foam are getting a little worn, (plus the bushing are cheap from the factory so seat will Rock front to rear, thats also repairable so while seat is out of car repair and replace worn items not too bad of a fix, it car has been serviced "CORRECTLY" with proper fluids,timely,and not RACED or Tracked on weekends only! Transmissions are very reliable, any based on treatment and service, it seems that the A/C digital temperature displays faded or blink out completely thats needs to be removed and sent off for correct repair, dampers need to be replaced with usually with a 25% under-drive unit some issue but if your a little mechanical and can read and down load from this site or You Tube no problems, JP P.S mine is stock, not abused and only better than oem mods/parts
Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 AM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
the car is over 10 years old, all normal. these aren't cars for people who can't do their own work

gets expensive quick

condition is also the big one with these cars. many have been ran hard and put away wet. i looked at quite a few c5s and early c6s before i bought my c5z

hard to find an elderly owned 1-2 owner car, all stock with no signs of abuse
I totally agree with you! Not trying to scare any new buyers but yes, taking a Corvette into a shop is just as "bad" ($$) as a Cadillac lol. Which brings me to why I am so glad my dad "forced" me when I was around 10 into helping him to remove and replace carbs, etc. Over 20 years later and I could never thank the Man enough for all that I learnt over the years
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

I own a 2002 coupe, 80,000 miles. No major problems, very few gremlins or minor problems. I've had no major repair bills, just regular maintenance. Plugs wires and shocks I did myself. Take your time and search for a nice, well maintained car.

Hopefully you should find something better than that lemon BMW you bought. (I hate BMW's lol)
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
aksho72
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by guido7834
I own a 2002 coupe, 80,000 miles. No major problems, very few gremlins or minor problems. I've had no major repair bills, just regular maintenance. Plugs wires and shocks I did myself. Take your time and search for a nice, well maintained car.

Hopefully you should find something better than that lemon BMW you bought. (I hate BMW's lol)
I agree with all these guys. I just bought my 2004 coupe with 88,000 miles and used all the buyers info in the forum and got a crazy good deal on a very nice car.
Also, Spend the money for car fax as well it saved from buying a car that had a history of serious issues.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 AM
tro209
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for all your replies! Yes i do plan on doing everything myself (unless its really complicated) but i can say that im feeling very confident in buying a C5 now

Oh and as for the BMW being a lemon, its not lol. Theyre really that bad
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM
CiCiC3
Racer

I was mainly asking questions about these cars because my wife wants the small sporty BMW and was going to try to get her interested in the Corvette C5+ somehow. She is not interested in performance at all and drives like an old lady. I know BMW's have reliability issues, how bad I'm not sure but I'm getting the idea you don't want to buy them used because a warranty will be leaned on heavily. Then replace with a new one as the warranty runs out. I love the Vettes but selling her on them may not work at all. I'm good at fixing Vettes but Beamers I don't know as would risk even trying.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:29 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CiCiC3
I was mainly asking questions about these cars because my wife wants the small sporty BMW and was going to try to get her interested in the Corvette C5+ somehow. She is not interested in performance at all and drives like an old lady. I know BMW's have reliability issues, how bad I'm not sure but I'm getting the idea you don't want to buy them used because a warranty will be leaned on heavily. Then replace with a new one as the warranty runs out. I love the Vettes but selling her on them may not work at all. I'm good at fixing Vettes but Beamers I don't know as would risk even trying.
The E46 bmw is generally a reliable car at least compared to other BMW's. However parts can be expensive and working on it can be a PITA and very time consuming. (Espcially if its automatic like mine) If you feel like you can do all the work yourself then i say go for it if your wife really wants one. But i HIGHLY recommend a warranty or Certified Pre Owned BMW. Thats the only way i personally will ever buy again...

Like I said, i loved mine. But I love not being broke even more Plus Ive always felt like the car could use a little more oomph. And modifying one is very expensive as the only way to make any real power is to supercharge or turbocharge them. Unless of course you buy an M3 but not even the BMW mechanic i took my car to would own one of those lol
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Let the wife test drive a vette bet she likes it
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM
TropicalVette
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to put in my two cents. I've had my '98 convertible C5 for 7years and I absolutely love it. I do everything to it myself, alone or with the help of my friends at home and at the Corvette Forum. In my opinion, the Vette is an excellent hobby car, which can be cared for taking it to car shows and even trashed in the race track. Even with all the abuse one can put into a Vette it keeps up very well, mainly, because of it's bullet proof construction and robust mechanicals.

Having said that, I can't consider a C5 a suitable candidate to be used as a daily driver. If the car is to be used on a daily basis it should be practical, comfortable and, depending on different tastes, economical. I drive a late model Honda Accord EXL V6, as a daily driver. Great car, although considered as an old guy car(which I am).
Being young and with $20k on hand you could find many other alternatives to use every day. Unless you just plan to have the Vette as a toy, which as I could understand from your post you're not, you could look elsewhere. I may be committing a sacriledge by saying this, but you could look at the late model Mustang, Camaro, Acura, Lexus, and many other makes that would serve you well and be sporty, practical and dependable at the same time.

Please post all hate responses directly on the thread and not sent to my inbox...:hide
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TropicalVette
I'm going to put in my two cents. I've had my '98 convertible C5 for 7years and I absolutely love it. I do everything to it myself, alone or with the help of my friends at home and at the Corvette Forum. In my opinion, the Vette is an excellent hobby car, which can be cared for taking it to car shows and even trashed in the race track. Even with all the abuse one can put into a Vette it keeps up very well, mainly, because of it's bullet proof construction and robust mechanicals.

Having said that, I can't consider a C5 a suitable candidate to be used as a daily driver. If the car is to be used on a daily basis it should be practical, comfortable and, depending on different tastes, economical. I drive a late model Honda Accord EXL V6, as a daily driver. Great car, although considered as an old guy car(which I am).
Being young and with $20k on hand you could find many other alternatives to use every day. Unless you just plan to have the Vette as a toy, which as I could understand from your post you're not, you could look elsewhere. I may be committing a sacriledge by saying this, but you could look at the late model Mustang, Camaro, Acura, Lexus, and many other makes that would serve you well and be sporty, practical and dependable at the same time.

Please post all hate responses directly on the thread and not sent to my inbox...:hide
I hear you man, and i aprecciate all your advice and any advice of this forum. Having said that i do have to ask the question. How are these cars for Daily Drivers? Truly. If the costs are less than that of BMW than perfect. If not ....
Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Originally Posted by tro209
The E46 bmw is generally a reliable car at least compared to other BMW's. However parts can be expensive and working on it can be a PITA and very time consuming. (Espcially if its automatic like mine) If you feel like you can do all the work yourself then i say go for it if your wife really wants one. But i HIGHLY recommend a warranty or Certified Pre Owned BMW. Thats the only way i personally will ever buy again...

Like I said, i loved mine. But I love not being broke even more Plus Ive always felt like the car could use a little more oomph. And modifying one is very expensive as the only way to make any real power is to supercharge or turbocharge them. Unless of course you buy an M3 but not even the BMW mechanic i took my car to would own one of those lol
I'm a little worried a Vette may get away from her and she wind up in ditch or worse. Beamer's not a problem with that. Thanks for the input on BMW, we will each be trying to steer each other in the other way but I will probably be the more easily swayed

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on purchasing a C5 base vette

Old 04-16-2014, 02:10 PM
TropicalVette
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

To drive it daily they are awkward: Very low and wide, difficult to see out the rear window. To me it's also concerning to leave it alone at a parking lot for 8 hours (at work) or at a shopping center or even a valet parking. I rather drive a car that I won't care (a lot) if it gets scratched or lightly dented. Maybe I'm putting it to my personal circumstance and you wouldn't mind any of this. If that's the case, the Vette will serve you well as long as you fix anything that may break and not let it deteriorate and become too expensive to fix later. A BMW is a very nice car, but as most European cars, it needs a lot of maintenance which can get very costly.

Good luck with your Vette...
Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I drive my ZO6 all year long. EXCEPT when the roads are NASTY (i.e. sand and salt during Snow storms) I have a Jeep for those times) I know a few people who have a set of rims with all season snow tires and drive their C5 EVERY DAY!

The car was made to DRIVE. The only real maintenance item is oil, gas and tires. Plugs are irridiun and last 60-70k miles or more if you don’t like to change plugs (suppose to last 100,000 miles ) If you don’t burn the tires off they last well into the 40k mile range.

Once you get the car and do all the fluids and get it in new owner shape, what cost do you think you need to spend money on???? If you get it from the right person, it will most likely already be in ready to go condition...

I know, I know,,, you are still gun shy from your BMW experience.

Do you know what BMW really stands for?????

BREAK MY WALLET, Bust My Wallet, Broke Must Walk, Im sure that there are more.. LOL Jeep stands for Empty Every Pocket :-D

I own a 2007 BMW K1200R motorcycle,, I know all about BMW EXPENSIVE!
The ABS module motor on the bike just FAILED. If you have the STEALERSHIP install a new ABS Module, it will set you back $2500. I can fix it myself by removing the module, separate the motor from the module and clean the motor brushes. Other than time and some brake fluid, ZERO COST! I can also send it to a repair facility and get it repaired for $150. if I so desire.

If you take on your own repairs when your C5 needs to be repaired, it sure does cut down the owner ship cost.
There is only one thing that I am hesitant about repairing myself on a C5 or C6 Corvette. That’s rebuilding the AUTOMATIC TRANS. All it takes is one tiny O ring out of place and it won’t work!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:23 PM
TropicalVette
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CiCiC3
I'm a little worried a Vette may get away from her and she wind up in ditch or worse. Beamer's not a problem with that. Thanks for the input on BMW, we will each be trying to steer each other in the other way but I will probably be the more easily swayed
Just to mention that if it's reliability what you want the best you could do is to look into de premium Japanese cars made by Acura, Infinity and Lexus. The only thing that the Beemer has over them may be the enthusiasts driving experience but that's where it stops. Any of those would provide a nice level of luxury and most of all dependability. Not to mention an excellent retail value at the end of your user cycle.

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing a C5 base vette