C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery drain!

Have a 97 and have stored it all winter. When I went to start it this spring the battery was dead so I charged it and everything was good the whole weekend. The next weekend I went to start it and it was dead again so I charged it and it was fine the whole weekend again. Now it has stayed charged for a week but every time I start it it bogs down but still starts. The headlights flicker a but until you start driving. I've also had the lights not flip up a few times as well( not enough power for the headlight motor?) last night on the dash it said low voltage (11.2). I've never seen this before. I took it to autozone and they said the battery was good. It was installed 4/09. So it Is old. Should I start with a new battery? Or has anybody else had this issue and found it to be something else. Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately (as far I've experienced), our cars are famous for draining batteries when sitting for months (sometimes weeks) at a time. When you store your car, it's best to keep a battery tender on it at all times. Ctek makes a nice tender; I have one myself.

I would suggest starting with a new battery. And just remember to keep a tender on it this winter.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You stored it all winter without being on a battery maintainer? Battery would be dead in 2-3 weeks. Bet that battery has at least one sick cell.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Start with a new battery and then we can go from there if you still have issues.

PS: If you need/want to charge a dead battery in the car, REMOVE the negative cable first.
A charger produces square waves and will pound the electronics since a dead battery cannot properly filter and mitigate them. Don't let one problem turn into several.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain!

Quick Reply: Battery drain!