C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Coupe Hatch Doesn't Open

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2001 Coupe Hatch Doesn't Open

My hatch isn't working properly anymore. I hear the trunk release working but the trunk either won't pop up at all or only the passenger side will pop up. Once the passenger side pops up I can pull up while continuously hitting the trunk release on my key fob and get the door open. Usually hatch will shut fine but there are times when it doesn't shut and I can't push it down (opening it and shutting again works).

What could be my issue? Are the latches not lined up? Is there Something else going on? I really hope this is an easy fix.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Most Corvette vendors sell a spring that you can install to make it pop up farther.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

So it's safe to assume that I just need an assist spring and there isn't anything mechanically wrong?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Try this. Open the car door. Either use your dash button to release the hatch or use your FOB to release the hatch. Now close the door on the car and see if it pops up. If so, you just need the assist spring. One of our vendors here sells that spring. Here you go:
http://www.corvettemods.com/product....FQWTfgodAZcAhw
Old 04-14-2014, 12:22 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Try the door close but you need to do it somewhat hard to increase the interior pressure quickly. If that does not do it you probably need a new latch.

If the door close does it the issue is your hatch "struts". The spring can at least help get it open but the struts are bad.

Last edited by dadaroo; 04-14-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

So I tried the shutting the door method and it helped slightly, but I think I have a mechanical issue. Normally the hatch pops open with plenty of room for my fingers. Even with shutting the door the hatch doesn't pop up as far as it normally does.

The other reason it makes me think it's mechanical is that sometimes when I shut it the hatch doesn't latch properly. When I press down to shut it all the way the drivers side goes down fine but the passenger side remains up slightly.

Does anyone have instructions on how to adjust the latches? This isn't an issue with the struts as it opens just fine it's just the latch or actuators that are acting up.

Also, from that link provided it looks like the spring is for the trunk on the hardtops only. I have a coupe not a hardtop.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The FSM just says to mark where the latch is for reinstallation. That is pretty normal for such work. Even so you may need some small adjustment if the hatch is not setting exactly where it should be.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the carpet piece so I can get to the latching mechanism? I see where you remove the cargo net attachment but it seems like the panel is on there pretty snug. I don't want to just pull on it assuming it's held on by clips and chance breaking something.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Coupe Hatch Doesn't Open

Quick Reply: 2001 Coupe Hatch Doesn't Open