C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel off center after hard braking @ track day?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Steering wheel off center after hard braking @ track day?

Ok guys this is a strange one .
DId a track day today @ LRP . have just installed Stoptech BBK system and had alignment last week . Was on last run of the day coming down back straight braked hard into turn 1 and felt the ABS kick in a little brakes felt strange and then car seemed to slide to the right a little . I slowed down came into pits and realized that the steering wheel was off center and not straight anymore . Wheels where straight but steering wheel is know turned to the left ? I took of wheel checked all tie rods end and ball joint ll are tight ? I am baffled ?
could the rack & Pinon slipped ?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 PM
OttawaZ16
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar issue, one of the the rear alignment offset cams was not tightened properly so the rear toe on one side slipped out. This occurred after a skidpad exercise. Interesting that the car drove naturally relatively straight, but with a turned wheel. If you run very grippy tires, you may have to go to fixed offset shims as the stock alignment system can get overloaded.

You can check quickly at home by eyeball or better with string.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 AM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't think its the rear . The front wheels are physically straight but steering wheel is off?

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel off center after hard braking @ track day?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel off center after hard braking @ track day?