C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end loose under moderate throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 PM
pbfrench
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear end loose under moderate throttle

I have 98 A4 coupe that has approx. 135,000 miles on the clock. When pulling away from a stop sign, doesn't matter whether turning left or right, if I give it just a little bit of throttle, the rear wants to swing around till the car is pointed straight then it grabs again. Similar to goosing the throttle a little on ice. Remember reading somewhere on a forum that someone had a similar problem and was pointed to replacing the swaybar end links. Have played with air pressure and that has not made any difference. Tires are 305 Hankook's so there should be plenty of rubber on the ground.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

There was a discussion here a few months ago, where LG Motorsports posted a video of a Corvette on a chassis dyno, and how the rear trailing arms "shifted" when power was applied. This was due to worn bushings, and demonstrates how the wheels can lose alignment (toe settings) under power.

With the number of miles on your car, I'd be looking at replacing some worn bushings, and/or toe links. Sway bar doesn't fit into this situation.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:51 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I don't think it is anything to do with the sway bars at all.

I will say this first, make sure the tires are pointed in the right direction. I know that sounds stupid but if the alignment on the car isn't right and the car has a lot of toe on one side, or the thrust angle isn't right on the back of the car it will do all sorts of weird things regardless if it has the best parts on it in the world or not.

Second thing would be to make sure all of the tire pressures are good and there are no loose bolts in the suspension.

As for busing wear, and the video he was talking about...

That was a new ZR1 with approx 5k miles on it...you can imagine what another 100k miles would do to them.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end loose under moderate throttle

Quick Reply: Rear end loose under moderate throttle