C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Charging System Fault" is FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The "Charging System Fault" is FIXED!!

Hello everyone,

Awhile back I posted a plea for help....I installed a set of LT headers, and as soon as I started the car I got "Charging System Fault" on the DIC. Grrrr...... I checked ~everything, no joy.

I checked the starter wires. I checked the alternator. I checked the battery. No joy.

Bill, aka. ET, suggested that there was a loose wire at the starter. (Thank you, Bill!!) I was finally able to get the car on a lift the other day, and tried to check the wires, but there wasn't enough room between the starter and the header to get my big-assed hand up in there; the best I could do was to put fingers on the studs on the starter and check for a loose wire. As far as I could tell, they were tight.

Well today I said "enough is enough!" and removed the battery and battery tray. I got a flashlight, a fresh cup of coffee, and was determined to stay the course until I found the culprit.

Here's what I found:

This little bastard was laying on top of the starter! It is a really flimsy wire, and it ~wants~ to slide off the terminal in the instant between when you put the wires on, and you actually get the nut on! There's NO WAY to see this from the bottom, or from the top if the battery tray isn't out.

I managed to get my over-sized meat handlers in there and get it installed where the GM Gods intended it.

NO MORE "CHARGING SYSTEM FAULT!!"

I hope that this helps someone else who might be having the same issue!

Cheers!
KoreaJon

Last edited by KoreaJon; 04-04-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Fixed link to picture
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 PM
_r2h
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Mocktoberfest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The man who shall be born with tiny hands, will be the mechanic's God among men.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

I know that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside,congrats on hanging in there and finding the problem.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM
xdmikey
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1!

Get notified of new replies

To The "Charging System Fault" is FIXED!!

Quick Reply: The "Charging System Fault" is FIXED!!