C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steeering wheel force

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:12 AM
mako2222
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steeering wheel force

what is the force required to turn the steering wheel of a 2001 corvette, at rest idling, with power steering?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

What is the force you are measuring? Also need to know what size the front wheels and tires are and the surface type the tires are on. I could measure my 2001 car's force the next time I go to the warehouse, it is not here at home.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM
mako2222
Intermediate

Default steering wheel force

[QUOTE=mako2222;1586507828]what is the force required to turn the steering wheel of a 2001 corvette, at rest idling, with power steering?[/QUOTE
thank you. I ,really do not need that specific of information. if you would measure yours and let me know I really would appreciate it. my trustworthy mechanic has done major work on the front end of my vette, after the steering gear box developed a leak.
now the force required to turn the wheel is as if there is no power steering. I was told the steering stiffens at higher speed. if that is true turning the wheel at 75 mph would be difficult.
I was thinking, a way to get a rough measurement would be to use a luggage scale, I use one to pick up my luggage at home to measure the weight, hook it to the steering wheel and record how many pounds is required to move the steering wheel.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I drive on the highway daily and the steering is quite easy. You do feel a back pressure when going through a tight curve or making a hard lane change, but it isn't bad. Even sitting still, you should be able to spin the wheel around with a single finger in the spoke.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Yes, that or a fish scale. Might want to turn the wheel first so you get a good position to attach so it does not move.

With that said, you have an issue. It may be air in the system so it is not working or something else like low fliud may have damaged the pump. You are right with the Magnasteer it should be less effort at slow speeds than at high speeds to allow better steering control.

It may be a week or so before I can test for you. I would think you should be able to turn the wheel when stopped with one finger or just VERY EASILY. Will ask a friend to do it as soon as I can to get you some faster feedback.

Just called a friend and he will check his this weekend for you. I just asked him to do the finger test at a stop sign.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM
mako2222
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Yes, that or a fish scale. Might want to turn the wheel first so you get a good position to attach so it does not move.

With that said, you have an issue. It may be air in the system so it is not working or something else like low fliud may have damaged the pump. You are right with the Magnasteer it should be less effort at slow speeds than at high speeds to allow better steering control.

It may be a week or so before I can test for you. I would think you should be able to turn the wheel when stopped with one finger or just VERY EASILY. Will ask a friend to do it as soon as I can to get you some faster feedback.

Just called a friend and he will check his this weekend for you. I just asked him to do the finger test at a stop sign.

I had to go out of town. I was wondering if anyone had found out any information about my vette's steering issue.
I picked the car up. the steering is very tight. that is nice at higher speeds but difficult at slow and very slow speeds.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Verified you should be able to turn the wheel with one finger at slow speeds or even stopped. You have a problem.

Not at home with the FSM to see if I can provide some idea of how to start diagnostics. Off hand it would seem to be air in the system, bad pump, or the steering gear.

Suggest you create a new Thread and provide a link to it from this one. I would title the new one differently with the actual issue going on we can get more input. Suggest something like "Power steering hard to turn at slow speeds".
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM
mako2222
Intermediate

Default soon to be announced(power steering)

Verified you should be able to turn the wheel with one finger at slow speeds or even stopped. You have a problem.

Not at home with the FSM to see if I can provide some idea of how to start diagnostics. Off hand it would seem to be air in the system, bad pump, or the steering gear.

Suggest you create a new Thread and provide a link to it from this one. I would title the new one differently with the actual issue going on we can get more input. Suggest something like "Power steering hard to turn at slow speeds".
Will answering like this accomplish the link you suggest?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 PM
mako2222
Intermediate

Default soon to be announced (power steering)

There is a factory pump, steering box and the system has been flushed more than once and Lucas high grade steering fluid added.
Problem began when the pump blew in Labrador Canada. there wasn't any corvette parts available. so I had to ad Lucas stop leak to limp back to Florida. finally the pump gave out and had to be replaced
Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I said create a new Thread, not just add posts to this one. Put a link in the last post you create here so people can go to the new Thread from here.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM
mako2222
Intermediate

I said create a new Thread, not just add posts to this one. Put a link in the last post you create here so people can go to the new Thread from here.
unfortunately I do not know how to do that. I'm new to this forum.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

No problem. A Thread is like a completely new question or problem. Once a Thread is created, like you created this one, every new entry/comment is called a Post. You can see the post number at the right side of each one. This allows someone to refer to a Post #. This Post will be #12 in your Thread.

If you just open up the Forum Tech section you will see on the top left a BLACK BOX entitled NEW THREAD. Just click on that to start a new Thread. Make sure you provide a clear statement of the problem. Then in the actual message explain the background and what led up to this issue.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 AM
mako2222
Intermediate

No problem. A Thread is like a completely new question or problem. Once a Thread is created, like you created this one, every new entry/comment is called a Post. You can see the post number at the right side of each one. This allows someone to refer to a Post #. This Post will be #12 in your Thread.

If you just open up the Forum Tech section you will see on the top left a BLACK BOX entitled NEW THREAD. Just click on that to start a new Thread. Make sure you provide a clear statement of the problem. Then in the actual message explain the background and what led up to this issue.
ok. I understand. you mentioned there would be a better title for the post. what would you suggest?

Thank you for your continued assistance.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:51 AM
mako2222
Intermediate

I noticed when I pulled into the garage the front wheels "chattered" when I turned the steering wheel.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:54 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I would suggest using Power Steering Problems. Make sure you do it in the Technical section. Will stay with you. Need to look in the FSM in the interim.

Make sure you explain your history and all issues you have experienced.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM
mako2222
Intermediate

Default power steering

I would suggest using Power Steering Problems. Make sure you do it in the Technical section. Will stay with you. Need to look in the FSM in the interim.

Make sure you explain your history and all issues you have experienced.
ok. Thanks. I will work on it today.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 AM
mako2222
Intermediate

Default power steering problems

Originally Posted by mako2222
ok. Thanks. I will work on it today.
I started a new thread with the title you suggested.

Get notified of new replies

To steeering wheel force

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Unfortunately I do not know how to do that. I'm new to this forum.
I was going to do that for you, but couldn't find the new thread you said you created

Sent from my DROID RAZR using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I started a new thread with the title you suggested.

Searched for it and even searched on everything you have ever done on the Forum. Found no new Thread by you. Try again, something happened.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM
mako2222
Intermediate

Default power steering problems

Searched for it and even searched on everything you have ever done on the Forum. Found no new Thread by you. Try again, something happened.

I will work on it Friday.

Quick Reply: steeering wheel force