C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roller rocker recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You are not really selflessly sharing your own opinion. I am not really sure that is possible for someone to do. You are VERY against it and seem to be against anyone that is for it.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Just based on the picture that's the old design. Even YT is up to a 3rd revision.

I agree though, for a low lift cam there's no reason to even consider a roller rocker.
^ I agree with the first part, that is why I said that.

The second part, it is an easy way to pick up lift and consequently power without breaking back into the engine again. No one seems to be looking at the other comp rocker arm offerings for some reason. Such as their ultra gold (alum) or the ultra pro mag kits. The Alum use a pedestal like the scorp and can be adjstable or non adjust with their mount and the Ultra Pro Mags can be the same way. Although i do not like PR guides, comp gives you the option to not have to use them now, where before they didnt. Sometimes the lobe design is good, but the lift is just weak.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Where did you get this information from? I can think of at least three instances where someone popped a rocker CRUISING.

OP, do a search on here and on LS1tech about the YT rocker failures. In the last 2-3 years, they seem to be the only ones (other than stockers puking needle bearings) that anyone posts about failing.
I am doubtful that the actual damage was done to the older YT's while cruising---- They most likely had some sort of failure earlier when running at WOT but didn't finally BREAK til some time later---
Just the fact that the new ones are called "ultralights" seems to indicate they were trying to change their perception that the older ones were to heavy----Also going by what my engine builder tells me and I trust his advice 100%
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The "new ones" werent called ultralights. They have been known under that name for quite some time.
Ive seen stock rockers pull apart like silly putty right around the bottom of the runion and break there as well. But people use stock rockers all the time.
It is merely a perception by any given person at any given time.
I personally like the scorpions and will likely use them on the next LS engine i build for my personal setup(s).
Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Ive seen stock rockers pull apart like silly putty right around the bottom of the runion and break there as well. But people use stock rockers all the time.
Really? Show me one. Puked bearings don't count.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

I didnt say i saw it on the internet. I said I saw it. As in personally. I am sure you can do a search on it and find some out there.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/broken-rocker-arms-132013/
there is a thread from a quick .16 second internet search. It does happen.
And if it breaks down there, it is going to spill the bearings.
There was a thread on tech I believe a while back that had actual pictures of them breaking the same way.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
I didnt say i saw it on the internet. I said I saw it. As in personally. I am sure you can do a search on it and find some out there.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/broken-rocker-arms-132013/
there is a thread from a quick .16 second internet search. It does happen.
And if it breaks down there, it is going to spill the bearings.
There was a thread on tech I believe a while back that had actual pictures of them breaking the same way.
Those are Jeg's aluminum rockers which are rebranded Scorpions, not factory rockers.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

I did say it was a .16 second search...
Old 03-23-2014, 12:38 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331500
there is one recently although it is rather vague and hard to tell the real reason nor are there pictures. But not everyone posts up their lunch and engine carnage on the internet.

and another one from tech
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...ke-rocker.html
although again no pictures, but a full account....

Last edited by COSPEED; 03-23-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
... Brian Tooley to get me there and did absolutely everything I was instructed to do. When he speaks, it's a "shut up and listen" moment for me.
regarding pushrods: I chose to run double-taper 7/16" and 3/8", .180" heavy wall pushrods for this reason.
Brian has posted a lot of good information on the stock rocker and where you get in trouble with it. I tried for quite some time to get the stockers to work on my setup but wasn't happy with the results hence the move to YT's.

Curious, did you install the heavier pushrods when you did the cam or were they installed later? If later, wondering if you have any before and after dyno curves as I saw a nice stability change and wondering if you saw something similar.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed YT Ultralite's on my TFS 215 heads back in March 2009. The heads come with 450 open psi springs, and I used 7.5 Comp 5/16" pushrods. Also had the G5X3 234/242/.600 .610 114 XER cam. I always used Mobile 1 15W-50 oil, and use a 160* stat to keep the engine temps down. And my fuel shut off is at 7100 rpm.

In October 2011, #5 piston let go destroying the block. So I installed a TSP 418 stroker & reused the cam and heads. Last year I installed an EPS 234/242/.600/.615 117+2 cam. Also installed the BTR Platinum valve springs that have ~50psi LESS open pressure. So I'm sure that I'll never break a rocker arm.

What open spring pressures are used that's causing the rocker failures? YT also makes a Platinum series rocker for extreme valve spring loads.

Russ Kemp
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Brian has posted a lot of good information on the stock rocker and where you get in trouble with it. I tried for quite some time to get the stockers to work on my setup but wasn't happy with the results hence the move to YT's.

Curious, did you install the heavier pushrods when you did the cam or were they installed later? If later, wondering if you have any before and after dyno curves as I saw a nice stability change and wondering if you saw something similar.
Yeah, Brian's got a few record breaking LS cars out there, (including one that I built for a customer) and AFAIK, all are running stock rockers.

I came out of the gate with those pushrods. The motor is all new and not even installed yet. Trying to finish up the current customer project so I can bring mine in and get on it.

Quick Reply: roller rocker recommendation