C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Auto to 6 Speed Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:14 AM
nasty98vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Auto to 6 Speed Questions

First off let me leave a list of what I have gathered that I need and you guys fill in what I'm missing.

Trans
Torque Tube
Bell housing
Pedal assembly
Trans harness
Shifter
Shifter rod and linkage
Clutch
Master
Slave

My questions are, I have found everything except for the bell housing, the parts are out of an 02 Z06, any reason these parts won't work in my car? Mine is a 98 c5.

I also read that the location of the ebtcm will affect which harness you need being some ebtcms are rear mounted and require a longer harness? How can I tell if mine is front or rear mounted?

As previously stated I have found everything except for the bellhousing, all the parts from the same car, the guy wants $1500 for everything is this a fair price?

I have read that the holes for the pedals are already present, is this true?

Is there any small items I'm leaving out like brackets or anything like that?

Will any manual bell housing work with this torque tube being from a z06 or does the bell housing need to come off a z06?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by nasty98vette
First off let me leave a list of what I have gathered that I need and you guys fill in what I'm missing.

Trans
Torque Tube
Bell housing
Pedal assembly
Trans harness
Shifter
Shifter rod and linkage
Clutch
Master
Slave

My questions are, I have found everything except for the bell housing, the parts are out of an 02 Z06, any reason these parts won't work in my car? Mine is a 98 c5.

I also read that the location of the ebtcm will affect which harness you need being some ebtcms are rear mounted and require a longer harness? How can I tell if mine is front or rear mounted?

As previously stated I have found everything except for the bellhousing, all the parts from the same car, the guy wants $1500 for everything is this a fair price?

I have read that the holes for the pedals are already present, is this true?

Is there any small items I'm leaving out like brackets or anything like that?

Will any manual bell housing work with this torque tube being from a z06 or does the bell housing need to come off a z06?
Trans
Torque Tube
Bell housing
Pedal assembly
Trans harness
Shifter
Shifter rod and linkage
Clutch
Master
Slave (should come with reservoir)
Flywheel & flywheel bolts
Pilot bearing

As for the EBTCM, if it's in the front, it'll be directly in front of the power steering pump/pulley. If it's in the rear, it'll be in the back of the car. I expect you could dissect your existing harness and then add whatever harness you purchase without worrying about where your EBTCM lies.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:48 AM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if the rear cradles are the same auto vs manual?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 78GEN3
Do you know if the rear cradles are the same auto vs manual?
They're the same.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Not sure if you got it with the pedals, etc but you'll want the clutch switch too. It performs a couple different functions i.e., engine start (safety feature), cruise control disengage, etc. Not sure if your under dash wiring harness has the (unused) connector plug already. I would think it does. Two wire connector.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
nasty98vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Not sure if you got it with the pedals, etc but you'll want the clutch switch too. It performs a couple different functions i.e., engine start (safety feature), cruise control disengage, etc. Not sure if your under dash wiring harness has the (unused) connector plug already. I would think it does. Two wire connector.
That's a very good point. Can anyone confirm if this plug is present? I will look myself when I get to the car.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

That's a very good point. Can anyone confirm if this plug is present? I will look myself when I get to the car.
When you're looking, it's a simple little two-wire connector plug. I don't recall the two wire colors right off hand, but it should be in the general vicinity if it's there. Some people splice a small switch in series into either one of the wires (doesn't matter), and use it as a "kill" switch for anti-theft.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Obviously you are masochistic. Good luck, it can be done. You will also need to have the car reprogrammed.

My parts manual shows a different bellhousing for auto versus manual (surprised me). Probably an overall dimension correction for auto versus manual. It also shows a mount that attaches to the bellhousing to support the clutch line to the slave for 97-99.

I saw no difference in the ZO6 bellhousing from a normal C5. It also did not show the hydraulic line support for the later than 1999 cars, not sure why.

All the auto and manual bellhousing part numbers were the same regardless of year.

Last edited by dadaroo; 03-17-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
They're the same.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch wiring is not in your car. You have option of finding a dash harness or putting in your own wires like my car.
You'll be doing some pcm repinning also.
The clutch master hole is marked out in the insulation but will need to be cut in the tub. There is a bracket you'll need to stand off the reservoir so it doesn't hit the washer fluid sensor. I ended up using a spacer on one side to angle it.
$1,500 is about what I paid for all my stock take off parts.
Don't forget a reflash/dyno tune.
Its a huge job and will take longer or cost more than you are expecting.
Best of luck with the swap.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Nasty98vette,

I did this swap in January. You will need a manual bell housing (base or Z06 are the same). The clutch has two switches. They're mounted at top and bottom of the clutch pedal assembly. The one on the bottom controls the clutch start function. The top one is the cruise control disengage. You'll need a narrower brake pedal. (FYI, you must remove the existing brake pedal to install a clutch pedal)

There is a hole in the sheet metal (firewall). However, you will need to drill out the fiberglass panel to the same size hole.

Obtain a manaul wiring harness for your specific year/options (i.e. F55). If you get a Z06 wiring harness it will have a trans fluid temp seosor connector on it. You can chooe to have a temp sensor installed into your trans drain plug.

Other items:
Wiring is not complicated. ~ 6 wire connections need to be made to the PCM/BCM. I have connection specifics if you need them. Biggest pain in the *** is installing clutch pedal and wiring it.

You'll need a "manual trans specific" PCM file. Splice your engine tune into the new file. Update your VIN in the file too. (requires a Tech2 programmer or a fully licensed HP tuner set).

Ping me if you have any other questions.

I cannot stress enough that you should add a remote clutch bleeder.

Last edited by Bluefire; 03-17-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM
nasty98vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Nasty98vette,

I did this swap in January. You will need a manual bell housing (base or Z06 are the same). The clutch has two switches. They're mounted at top and bottom of the clutch pedal assembly. The one on the bottom controls the clutch start function. The top one is the cruise control disengage. You'll need a narrower brake pedal. (FYI, you must remove the existing brake pedal to install a clutch pedal)

There is a hole in the sheet metal (firewall). However, you will need to drill out the fiberglass panel to the same size hole.

Obtain a manaul wiring harness for your specific year/options (i.e. F55). If you get a Z06 wiring harness it will have a trans fluid temp seosor connector on it. You can chooe to have a temp sensor installed into your trans drain plug.

Other items:
Wiring is not complicated. ~ 6 wire connections need to be made to the PCM/BCM. I have connection specifics if you need them. Biggest pain in the *** is installing clutch pedal and wiring it.

You'll need a "manual trans specific" PCM file. Splice your engine tune into the new file. Update your VIN in the file too. (requires a Tech2 programmer or a fully licensed HP tuner set).

Just the guy I was looking for! I appreciate the info. A good buddy actually has tech2. How many hours did it take you to complete the swap?

I have a shop with lifts, trans jacks, every air tool in the book etc just fyi.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Just the guy I was looking for! I appreciate the info. A good buddy actually has tech2. How many hours did it take you to complete the swap?

I have a shop with lifts, trans jacks, every air tool in the book etc just fyi.
The mechanic that built my motor and I did it in his shop. Total = 28 hours.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Nasty98vette,

Other items:

Kewl! Thanks for clarifying on the matter of the pedal switches. It's been awhile since I was under there crawling around.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM
nasty98vette
Instructor

I have just about everything I need, minus the clutch and hydraulic components such as the slave and master and I still need to buy a pilot bearing.

My next question is, what is my auto driveline worth? In complete form or separating parts.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Evilash
Pro

Values are all over the map depending on your market and parts condition.
I got zero credit or otherwise for mine from the shop. You may get several hundred if you want to deal with shipping.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Shipping is the deal killer. You may get a couple of hundred bucks through a local sale.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Auto to 6 Speed Questions

Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
nasty98vette
Instructor

That's a bum deal on the value of the auto stuff.

I'm reading some guys saying I need the complete wiring harness to run the manual and some are saying just the "transmission" harness is needed. Is there just a harness for the transmission OR do you cut the manual wires out of the complete wiring harness?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Evilash
Pro

You want a complete trans harness my shop still cannibalized some of my old harness too.
Its the harness in a 4 foot plastic sleeve. Make sure if you have one shipped they don't go cheap on you and fold it up into a small box.

I had a used Yank 3200ss some value if I wanted to drag the oily mess home and find a buyer and the shifter may have some value to someone that broke theirs. Other than that its a 40k 10mm TT, shot flex plate and a poorly running auto trans.
Realistically $500 would have been top dollar for what was left over.
Thing is the way these cars are designed you're just not going to find many people willing to take a chance on trans parts like a torque converter since it's not like dropping the trans out of an old mustang where if it doesn't work you spend a couple more hours swapping it back out.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

That's a bum deal on the value of the auto stuff.

I'm reading some guys saying I need the complete wiring harness to run the manual and some are saying just the "transmission" harness is needed. Is there just a harness for the transmission OR do you cut the manual wires out of the complete wiring harness?
There is only one harness that runs along the length of the transmission to the back of the car. Besides the transmission functions, the harness connects to your fuel system, wheel speed sensors, F55 shocks (if applicable), Vehicle speed sensor (on Diff). There's an automatic transmission version and, a manual transmission version of the harness.

Buy a manual harness that is the same year and options that your car has (i.e. Mag shocks).

Note: If you purchase a MN12 transmission (Z06), it will have a trans temp sensor installed. You will then need to buy a Z06 trans harness that has the two-wire connector that connects to the trans temp sensor. The MN6 trans does not have that option.

Quick Reply: C5 Auto to 6 Speed Questions