C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation and stumbling under load... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
AF Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation and stumbling under load... Help!

While driving to work this morning I got onto the freeway, while speeding up on the on ramp my car started stumbling basically bucking starting right about 2k in third gear. I shifted to fourth fifth and sixth same thing with no codes to speak of. Wondering if it could be a fuel or spark issue and it being dark I pull over shut down and unplug my MAF fire the car back up and now it runs fine through all the gears. It actually seems to pull much harder. I am at a loss for what could be causing this issue. I cleaned the MAF when i got home that didn't seem to fix the problem. Any gurus in here have any idea what my issue could be?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AF Vette
While driving to work this morning I got onto the freeway, while speeding up on the on ramp my car started stumbling basically bucking starting right about 2k in third gear. I shifted to fourth fifth and sixth same thing with no codes to speak of. Wondering if it could be a fuel or spark issue and it being dark I pull over shut down and unplug my MAF fire the car back up and now it runs fine through all the gears. It actually seems to pull much harder. I am at a loss for what could be causing this issue. I cleaned the MAF when i got home that didn't seem to fix the problem. Any gurus in here have any idea what my issue could be?
First of all, make sure all your spark plug wires are properly connected to both the coil packs and plugs. Hopefully it's that simple for you. Let us know!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Pull your codes and post. If no codes try this.
If you have access to a scanner, you want to pull up the misfire monitor. It should show you what cylinders were misfiring in history. If not driver the car under similar conditions and have someone watch the scanner(current misfires). If it's one or two cylinders, you can load test the ignition with an st125 spark checker. Start the car, it should fire repeatedly not erratically. If doesn't fire consistently, swap the wire 1st and retest, then the coil. It's quick and easy. If it does fire consistently swap plugs. If the misfire changes cylinders, you found your problem. You can do the same with injectors.
If nothing shows in the misfire monitor, check your st and lt fuel trims. If the total for each bank is +or- 10% replace the MAF. Drive the car and see if the fuel trims go back toward 0. They are almost never perfect. +or- 5 is good.
Light throttle higher gear misfires are usually ignition. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM
AF Vette
Instructor

I do not have access to a scanner unfortunately. Could it still be a spark issue even though it runs amazingly with the maf unplugged and the computer in speed density mode? Do mafs just go bad? And I have no codes.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be an air leak between the MAF and TB, but yes a MAF can go bad
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 PM
AF Vette
Instructor

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a 85mm. My maf does have 115k on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Hesitation and stumbling under load... Help!

Quick Reply: Hesitation and stumbling under load... Help!