C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD, TPMS issues -> BCM??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default HUD, TPMS issues -> BCM??

Hey Folks, I'm new overf here, I'm ususally on the C4 side but just got an 02 Coupe in the garage and have some questions. (I don't have the FSMs yet.. so please bear with me..)

Have 2 possibly related issues: The TPMS doesn't diaplay tire pressures and the HUD is inop (totally dark). The PO said that the hud had worked for him (for whatever that's worth) and the TPMS gave him a warning recently. Since both go through the BCM, thinking they may be related.

When I got the car I had the service steering column and service TPMS messages with all tire prssures showing XXX. I have the LMC5 installed and read that it is possible for it to occasionally get out of sync with the BCM. I checked the wire harness for loose wires or antything that looked wrong, and reset the BCM by pulling fuse 23. That cleared the service column message.

I pulled the codes from the DIC and had a host across the subsystems, the only current ones were TPMS related: C2100, C2105, C2110 and C2115 which are all four TPMS sensors under the RFA system. There was also an old code U1225 - Serial Data line malfunction. My key FOBs work fine so the RFA is at least working somewhat. The other codes were all history from TCS, LDCM/RDCM, and SCM. I cleared the codes, going to drive and see if any come back. I disconnected the battery to reset the computers as well.

I tried relearning the TPMS system, but I don;t have the right magnet yet. I used a couple f ridiculously strong rare earth magnets but that didn't work.. so i can't rule out bad TPMS sensors, though I doubt all four would go at once. I also noticed one of the tire stems was different than the other 3, so maybe the PO scrapped the system... just dunno yet. After the reset, the TPMS just shows nothing for tire pressures (no more XXX)

The HUD is my real question right now. It's out, no display whatsoever. Tried the brightness slider, and pages etc. tried with headlights on and off and tried various viewing angles. My instrument cluster is working so it should have power, but Is there a diagnostics procedure that I could perform? Once I'm past resetting the BCM, don't know where to start with this one.. Suggestions?

Last edited by mxw128; 02-16-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: additional detail
Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Ok Thanks 8vette7! that was the same video i used to get the codes and I did actually clear them that way before I disconnected the battery. I only disconnected the battery to get a clean start with everything.

** UPDATE ** The HUD is actually working, just not visible. If I cram my head against the windshield header, i can see it, or at least most of it. So it looks I need to do an adjustment. The buttons don't seem to move it at all. I think i found another thread that talks about doing that.. I know that the PO had the windshield replaced right before I got it, maybe that screwed it up?

WRT the TPMS, prob right about the batteries. The one stem thats different has me thinking that there isn't a sensor in that spot AND it's the drivers side front, so that's the first one that gets programmed. The rims need some work, so I might wait until I get a replacement plan in place.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Ha! I was just logging in to post back, that's exactly what I did w the TPMS. With my RE magnets Iwas able to get 2 to be recognized. I'm almost certain 1 is missing, (it's a regular rubber valve stem) and the other is probably just dead. I'm looking for a replacement set set now...

Re: codes, yeah your prob right that some spurious codes will get set with a battery disconnect. The other thing I was trying to do was reset anything the PCM had learned, not just the codes. (BLMs etc...)

When I pulled my codes after the battery reset and driving a bit I only had 2 codes: BCM: B2587 and B2592 which are related to the pull key and wait message, so I'll attribute those to relearning/syncing of the BCM.

Last edited by mxw128; 02-17-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

With regard to the HUD, the mirror pivot may have failed and it is working but is pointed down and cannot be moved up. This is a common problem. There is a link on how to fix it but I am not at home now. I will post that for you later.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Yes that is it. I was about to post it since I am home now but Chuck beat me to it.

I have a great instruction on how to remove the dash pad to get to it. Removing the pad is not really hard. I gave the instructions to a friend and he thought it was easy. If you need it just let me know. What the heck, here it is:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...-dash-removal/
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Cool, thanks for the links! It still looks like a LOT of work to get the dash out. I'll tear into this weekend.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

update - I pulled the dash out using the link above (thanks Dadaroo!) and it really wasn't too bad. (a lot easier than the c4!) It definately is a good thing to have an extra set of hands to manipulate the dash in and out. Pulled the HUD and it was the "dropping hud" issue. The pin on one side and bushing on the other were gone. I used the link above (thanks 8vette7!) and did a similar fix. All is good now. Pulling it apart gave me the chance to do a good cleaning on everything and reconnect the cigarette lighter that the PO had left off. So I'm probably better off now than when I started.

One thing I'd do differently: You don't have to pull the shift **** off to remove the console. (that wedge or demon key is a pain to get out) You can pry the base of the boot out of the console with a platic interior tool (it comes out pretty easy) and turn it vertical to get through the console hole as you lift the console past it. So you can leave the boot and shift **** in place. Removing it (I took the parking brake boot out too) allowed me to really clean and condition it.. so it wasn't a loss... just will save the time next go around!)

Last edited by mxw128; 02-23-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

That is a great update. I did the same thing with my shift **** and boot. I forgot that little maneuver was not in the instructions. I think I just did it instinctively. Will remember to note that when I refer removal to others.

Also sounds like your fix was at zero dollars.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD, TPMS issues -> BCM??

Quick Reply: HUD, TPMS issues -> BCM??