C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 wont start

Ok guys, I need some help from the more experienced. Heres the skinny, my cooling fans weren't coming on, so I replaced all the relays, still nothing. So, I cut the pigtails that plug into the fans, and wired both fans up with new 40amp relays, and used a switch 12 volt for signal wire. Well, I went to test, and the battery was completely dead. I pulled battery, went to autozone, and picked up a new battery. I installed battery, ensured connections were tight. I turn key to on position before starting, fuel pump primes, and everything else worked as normal, as well as both fans running high speed. Heres where im having trouble. I tried starting, and nothing happens, no clicks, nothing. Also, I noticed last night that my heater(blower) turned on by itself, which I believe killed my battery even after car was off. With new battery, it continues to turn on with car off, and I can hear some kind of relay clicking in the dash. Heres my codes

A1-RDCM B2283H, 2285H,U1064,1016,1096
99-HVAC U1064H, 1096H, 1160H, 1255H, B0367, B0446

I reset all the codes, and the HVAC codes are the only ones that return. I have tried unhooking the battery for 10 mins, but still nothing. I've checked the grounds, they all seem good.
Also, when I reset the HVAC codes, I can hear a weird faint growl type sound in the dash somewhere.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by nick.celis
Ok guys, I need some help from the more experienced. Heres the skinny, my cooling fans weren't coming on, so I replaced all the relays, still nothing. So, I cut the pigtails that plug into the fans, and wired both fans up with new 40amp relays, and used a switch 12 volt for signal wire. Well, I went to test, and the battery was completely dead. I pulled battery, went to autozone, and picked up a new battery. I installed battery, ensured connections were tight. I turn key to on position before starting, fuel pump primes, and everything else worked as normal, as well as both fans running high speed. Heres where im having trouble. I tried starting, and nothing happens, no clicks, nothing. Also, I noticed last night that my heater(blower) turned on by itself, which I believe killed my battery even after car was off. With new battery, it continues to turn on with car off, and I can hear some kind of relay clicking in the dash. Heres my codes

A1-RDCM B2283H, 2285H,U1064,1016,1096
99-HVAC U1064H, 1096H, 1160H, 1255H, B0367, B0446

I reset all the codes, and the HVAC codes are the only ones that return. I have tried unhooking the battery for 10 mins, but still nothing. I've checked the grounds, they all seem good.
Also, when I reset the HVAC codes, I can hear a weird faint growl type sound in the dash somewhere.
with key in, I here 2 relays click, when pulling key out, ill hear 3 relays click. Im thinking this has something to do with the 2 pigtails I cut from the original harness for the fans?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Your fans should not be coming on with just the key on, unless that is what you intended. I suggest you try to put you wiring back to the stock configuration and then check your codes.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by f6john
Your fans should not be coming on with just the key on, unless that is what you intended. I suggest you try to put you wiring back to the stock configuration and then check your codes.
Yes, wired it for the fans to turn on when I turn the car on.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

im not sure if its because the battery died, or because of cutting those pigtails off
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Could it be because the original wiring at the fans isnt grounded?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Wish I could be more help, will have to wait for some of the electrical guru's to chime in.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

No problem. Thx for your input. Im thinking it has something to do with my key. I cleared all the codes, and only codes that return are HVAC related, yet still doesnt crank. I checked fuses, all were good. I cleaned my key, nothing. Only have 1 key so i cant try another key
Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

starter solenoid is actually a common failure. check your battery voltage and CCA. if you have a battery store near by they can bench test the CCA left in it

solenoids tyically pop up when you have full power and magically, one day, you car doesn't start. i had mine die last summer, push started the car, came up, turned it off and it fired right back up again

replaced starter no more problems.

i know a few of our longtime forum members also have schematics of the relays and key issues if you want to troubleshoot that way.

i just remember, back when i was younger and worked at a shop, over 90% of no start conditions were a battery or a starter
Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Ya the battery was checked with said test before i purchased it. Ill take A look at the starter in a few. Whats easiest way to tell if the starter solenoid is bad?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

The battery is fine. I just can't picture it being the starter. I hear the relay click or the solenoid click...but nothing. I will try and jumper the starter tomorrow morning to try and rule that out

Last edited by nick.celis; 02-11-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

update, I jumpered the starter, and it worked, cranked the car right up. I turned car off, and key still doesn't work to start the car, could this mean my starters went to crap?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It helps to have the proper STARTER CIRCUIT Schematics to help you figure out whaer to start. Get a AC/DC Volt meter and get CRACKEN!

Too bad that you had to hack up the fan circuits. I have schematics for those too.

BC
Old 02-12-2014, 01:47 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Thx bill for the diagram, started testing, and while reviewing the wiring at the starter, the small nut (8mm) wire was showing, so I unhooked it, and it wasn't even together. MaYB this could be it. I'm going to try and replace the electrical connector on and and post another update!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:47 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Ohh, and bill, I actually searched for the fan diagram, im going to rewire it according to the diagram to where they will still run high speed allthe time!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by nick.celis
Ohh, and bill, I actually searched for the fan diagram, im going to rewire it according to the diagram to where they will still run high speed allthe time!
Just curious..why do you want to do this?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:52 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BigGun
Just curious..why do you want to do this?
because my car was running hot, and the fans were not kicking on high speed, only low. tried adjusting via hptuners, and still didn't fix the problem, so now they will run high speed at all times. But anywhom, THANKS a ton Bill for the wiring schematic. It turned out the TDR (purple wire) to starter was frayed, and not getting good connection. Re wired it, started perfect everytime!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 wont start

Old 02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if the car is running over 230deg chances are you have a LOT of crap wedged in your radiator. when is the last time you removed it and cleaned it all out? these cars collect road debris like no other

stock normal range is 198-232deg
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Cleaned and,flushed last week after pulling motor and putting 408 in. I thought had air in system, but it was just the fans not kicking on high. Just drove to store, car wash, and back home Just now and never got a temp over 200.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Vato
Instructor

Broomstick to the solenoid time. I keep both a new starter (in the box..Lazy) and a broomstick in the car. Every few days I have to give it 9-10 raps.....Starts right up. I know I will need to replace the starter soon, just no time. At least I have the part with me JIC!!!

Good Luck,
Vato

Quick Reply: C5 wont start