C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under hood fuse #2 keeps blowing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Arc07
Instructor

Received 179 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Under hood fuse #2 keeps blowing.

Hi. I've searched for the issue I'm having and I'm getting mixed results, so I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

I purchased a set of reverse LED bulbs, and I installed the right one first and tested it by unlocking the car. Everything was fine. I installed the left one and when I tested it, neither light worked. After digging on here I saw that the under hood fuse #2 (Approach) controls the reverse lights. I installed the (only) spare fuse I had on hand and put the stock bulbs back in. Everything worked. After installing the LEDs again, I put both in and tested them simultaneously. Neither worked. I checked the #2 fuse again, and it was blown. So before I go pick up a handful of fuses, I'd like to determine what causes this. I emailed the great George @ Radioflyer but I feel bad for always bothering him.

Any tips would be very appreciated.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Sound like the new lights are the problem. If you put the stock bulbs in and the fuse does not blow, that confirms it. You can install an ammeter in place of the fuel and measure current draw with the stock bulbs. The install the led's and retest, just run a quick test (2-3 seconds) w the led's so as to not damage anything. You could also install a larger fuse in series w the ammeter to be safe while testing.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like you may have a bulb with a short in it, first thing to check is it always the same bulb that causes a problem, if so that's the culprit you can confirm with a DVM, if there is a short will will show low resistance. This is a good starting point, if this is not the problem put the original bulbs back in and let us know if the problem persists.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would say that one of the new LED bulbs is bad. Measure the two bulbs with an OHM Meter ans see if one reads colse to zero ohms.

BC
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Arc07
Instructor

Received 179 Likes on 53 Posts

One of the bulbs is bad. Replacement is on the way. Thanks for the replies. :-D

Get notified of new replies

To Under hood fuse #2 keeps blowing.

Quick Reply: Under hood fuse #2 keeps blowing.