C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Off Center/ 02 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
85RIT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Off Center/ 02 Z06

Had my 02 Z06 since July.

Drives straight, doesn't pull at all one way or the other. (Of course, checked on a straight road as its hard on back roads). Very, very tight car.

One thing that is annoying through, as that when driving straight the wheel is to the left about 20-30 degrees. Not horrible, and honestly my truck is the same way, but I would like to try to straighten it up this winter.

I was thinking just loosen the jam nuts on the tie rods and go 1/2 a turn on each one or so (obviously, pulling the one in and extending the other) to try to straigten it up.

It had VERY worn out OEM F1's on the front which are now replaced by Potenza's and it was hard to tell if they were wearing funny. IT came with new Potenza's on the rear. After about 4000 miles I am observing no obvious wear.

Anyone have any experience or success doing this?

Maybe just going and getting a 4 wheel aligment is just the best option.

Thanks all!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're not seeing any wear after 4000 miles; I would agree with just adjusting the tie rods ends in equal increments as you suggested.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

alignment is the best option. they can center your wheel and set your toe and camber where you want it

vette is a SUPER easy car to align. most firestones have modern racks and often run $69 coupon specials.

bring in your own specs and have them set the car

or,

just do factory default which is what they will do if you say nothing

one thing i would add is to mildly toe in the rear. for some insane reason the factory has no toe in out back which increases the car being darty in the rear end. .05 in each side makes a difference and has next to no effect on tire wear

the front spec is .04 in each side. if you want the car to turn in faster you can change that to .02 to .00 the drawback of this is it won't track quite as straight, just depends on what you want more. straight line tracking or turn in speed

Last edited by racebum; 01-22-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 PM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

I had that problem, had to keep the wheel at 1:00 to go straight. Got a 4 wheel alignment and problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel Off Center/ 02 Z06

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Off Center/ 02 Z06